Rolleiphot - How does it work?

gordon_zola

The theory is that you slowly close it down until the screen goes dark, then note the aperture and make an exposure calculation on that basis. (I think it's called an "extinction meter.") In practice it's doubtful that it would work very well, because differing conditions of ambient light pouring down into the top of your waist level finder, not to mention the relative dilation of your pupils, would radically skew your visual response. In other words, use a modern light meter. If photographers in the 1930's had the meters we have now, they never would have dreamed of using a Rolleiphot to meter with.

There's a surprising number of accessories you can get for your old Rolleiflex. A lot of them are needless gadgets that only serve to complicate your life. Resist the temptation to over accessorize. The things that are useful are a lens shade, filters, and perhaps Proxars and Rolleipars for close focusing. (JMHO)

Mark has it basically correct...I've emailed you a quick scan of the instructions from the Rollei Handbook. Mark is also correct to advise against too many accessories. I use the hood and only a few filters (orange, red, neutral density) with mine.