Rolleiflex question

sfcole

Hi,

I've inherited a Rollieflex. I'm not 100% sure about the model, but the serial #1451499 indicates it's from 1952-55, and possibly a 2.8c, model k7c. It has a Schneider Xenotar 2.8/80 taking lens, and the shutter is a Synchro-Compur.

Here's my question: all of the models I've seen go to 1/500 second shutter speed (1 has 1/400). However, on this camera, the shutter markings in the window just above the viewing lens only goes to 1/250. The wheel will go no further, and there's no 500 even visible to the right. Does the fact that 1/500 is absent mean there is something wrong with the linkage mechanism, or are there actually models that only go to 250?

thanks

The 1/500 sec speed should be present. You are right about a possible linkage problem. When putting the camera front together shutter and setting wheels should be in a distinct position in order to get the linkage right. Your camera may be the victim of an amateurish repair. It can be put right.

Ferdi.

I forget if this is the case on the synchro-compur, but on a lot of older Compur shutters there is a "booster" spring to engage 1/500th.

As said, try engaging it before cocking the shutter and it often takes a fair bit of effort even then to engage 1/500. You should feel a "bump" and then should drop as it slides into 1/500.

By all means don't be afraid to push a bit on the wheel, although of course don't force anything.

As said, try engaging it before cocking the shutter and it often takes a fair bit of effort even then to engage 1/500

A 2.8C should roll smooth as silk into the 500 position AS LONG AS IT'S UNCOCKED.

If it IS already cocked, all speeds EXCEPT 1/500 can be easily set.

Thanks everyone. The problem was in fact that it was cocked first. When I tried it uncocked, it did go into 1/500. It's an odd way to do it--not sure what they're trying to prevent. And it takes a rather long throw of the wheel to get it to 500. But it does work.