Rolleiflex Old Standard

Very nice pictures Mark!

Esko, Paul Rudolph's Tessar design was (is) immitated by several lens designers including Max Berek...Elmar.

Mark camera has an uncoated Tessar. Is your Ikoflex Tessar lens coated?

Several of my cameras sport an uncoated Tessars and they are great for color too as well as the uncoated Dagor, uncoated convertible Protar Series VIIa and the uncoated convertible Turner Reich.

Cheers.

My 1955 (1956?) Rolleiflex Automat with a f3.5 Tessar probably is my favorite MF camera.

As long as I am careful to stop down to f8 I can be assured of getting b&w pix which are

indistinguishable from those made with a modern Hasselblad. If I stay away from backlight

and always use a lens hood, my results are as fine as I could obtain with any 1990s MF

film camera.

The 1950s Tessar performs every bit as well as a more modern Zeiss Planar f3.5 in a

Rolleiflex 3.5E3 which I also own & use frequently. The Planar gives a little better

performance in the corners, but only if I look with a very strong magnifier. I also think the

Planar makes a somewhat more saturated color print, but not by much.

I favor Schneider?Kreuznach lenses for my LF work, but have probably made more pictures

with Zeiss?equipped Rolleiflexes over the years than any other cameras I own. I have

always loved working with them. They are such a pleasure to use.

I recently bought an Old Standard from a nice guy on FleaBay. He's a regular contributer here.

Anyway, it has the 3.8 Tessar and is from 1932. I have been very impressed with the quality

of this uncoated lens, even for color. Here is a recent shot I made on Tri-X Pro 320.

Developed in highly dilute Rodinal to tame the contrast. I'll post a color shot tomorrow.<div>00JVgu-34420284.jpg.b6acc083e7814a717782cd9590cd8a80.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you liked the black and white, You can see more of my work and that of others in the thread <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JfQn&tag=">Rollei Old Standard Still brilliant.

</a>

If the Ikoflex has a Tessar lens design, which I think is a three element gaussian type? (someone who knows lenses please help here!)

It should be very similar.

Russ:

The Tessar designed by Dr. Paul Rudolph (Zeiss employee) in 1902, has 4 elements in 3 groups. It was such a good lens that it earned him the Progress Medal of the Royal Photographic Society in 1905. The lens was called "Eagle's Eye". His design was (is) immitated by several lens designers including Max Berek...Elmar(1925).

Lawrence:

Yes, the Ikoflex II has the same uncoated Tessar and it would perform the same way as the Rolleiflex "Old" Standard presented here.

Interesting is that the Ikoflex had a price range in order to compete with the Rolleicord with its Triotar...a 3 element lens.