Rolleiflex Hy6 (also Sinar Hy6 & Leaf AFi) - first impressions report

erik scanhancer

Today I went to the Photokina, because I could no longer resist to find out more about the new

Rolleiflex Hy6 MF camera. Well, my visit was certainly worthwhile! Before I get into details, I suggest you

take a look at Michael Reichmann's videoblog here, featuring the Hy6:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/photokina/medium-format-report.shtml

I have had the opportunity to have extensive discussions with the technical product manager of Franke

& Heidecke as well as some other key people involved in the development of this new camera. They

have shown me the camera in detail and of course I was able to play with it as well.

The Hy6 ("Hy" from "hybrid") is technically an evolutional development of the famous Rolleiflex 6008AF

concept, while the outer design and the user interface should be called a more revolutionary

development. Actually, all typical 6008AF functions are there. An improvement is the new focus

detector (now a cross CCD) and the infrared light to focus under difficult lighting conditions. Also new

is the battery: it's now a widely available Lithium-ion brick that can be recharged without risking

memory-effects. The model I found in the Hy6 was from Varta and looked like a camcorder battery.

The reason that the new design could be so radically different from the 6008 series is because the

motordrive is removed from the body and the new battery is located in the hand grip, thus lowering the

body height significantly. This means that the Hy6 can only take film magazines that have their own

motor built in, like Rollei's 4560 rotating magazine. I was told that a self-driven 6x6 magazine is under

development. Here lies the great news of this camera: it will take all kinds of high-end digital backs,

but also 6x4.5 and 6x6 framed film. This, while the whole package is very light and compact. To me it

looked and felt a whole lot more compact than the Hasselblad H3 (which does only 4x4.5 max). In

contrast to the Hasselblad the handgrip of the Hy6 is rotatable, like we know from the 6008 series,

although this one cannot be removed because it carries vital controls (and the battery of course).

The Hy6 works with all lenses that work on the 6008 series as well, so the investment in Zeiss and

Schneider glass will be well protected (and not force you into buying Fuji lenses for example). The

functionality as we know it from the 6008AF is all there: leaf shutters with full flash sync up to

1/1000sec; mirror-blocked multi-exposure, full metering functionality regardless of the viewfinder

used; et cetera. The ground glass in the Hy6 is the same as in the 6008AF. Only the viewfinders and

6x6 backs are different because these are lower in order to further save on the camera's height. A new

90 degree viewfinder will be introduced as well.

While the technical reality of this camera is designed by F&H, the looks and user interface are designed

outside the Braunschweiger factory. An extensive survey under photographers has been done in order

to define the look and feel of the Hy6. If they were asked to choose between "BMW", "Volvo" and

"Mercedes" most voted for Volvo. For this reason it will be no coincidence that this camera looks more

like a totally modernised version of a 500CM than a traditional Rolleiflex. Something like Victor

Hasselblad's wet dream (which cannot be said about the H3).

Holding the Hy6 is amazingly comfortable due to the rotatable handgrip on the right and the very well

placed controls on the left, mostly predestined to be operated by thumb. So your left hand can support

the camera continuously while changing settings with that same hand. Wonderful concept. The

handgrip has two control wheels to change shutter speed and aperture or other settings when you go

deeper into the menu. (For those worried about endless sub-menu layers: you can rest assured because

all vital controls are directly driven by the buttons on the left and the extra buttons on the hand grip for

mirror lockup and such. Deeper menu layers can also be accessed directly by moving the controls to

"red dot settings", bringing you right under the hood of the camera. And for real geeks the camera can

also be programmed by hooking it up to a PC with the USB connection.)

Some other interesting functions of the Hy6 are: white balance sensor on top of the camera; a new built

in quick release plate (much bigger than the old one); a large LCD on the hand grip showing important

data such as shutter speed and aperture settings, battery condition, correction values and such.

Asked about the price level I was told it would be about the price of a 6008AF. Also, for people pre-

ordering it with a Jenoptik back there will be a step-up program: first they will receive their back with a

6008AF body and by the time the Hy6 becomes available it will be swapped out. Digital backs that

work on the 6008 will also work on this camera.

Unlike what Michael Reichmann says in his videoblog the 6000 series aren't planned to be phased out.

Mostly because it is a camera line well under control of F&H's production plant, so they could do some

production runs whenever needed. F&H is an extremely flexible company when it comes to production.

So it will merely be decided by demand from the market if and for how long those cameras will live on

to be produced.

All in all I was very impressed by this camera, because it seems to have gained on a number of crucial

points compared to the 6008 series, while the trade-off's aren't really apparent (if there are any). Given

the fact that it allows to work with several high-end digital backs (Sinar and Leaf will even sell the same

camera under their own brand names and I am pretty sure Phase One will follow soon, since Hasselblad

has made the H3 for Hasselblad backs only.) Basically I don't see any serious competition in the MF

camera world for this new design marvel. The only question that remains will be if the MF digiback

market as a whole will survive the current developments in 35mm chipcams. That is where the real

competition lies.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, because I have a technical data sheet of the Hy6 as

well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the effort you put into typing all that Erik.

I too was very interested by this "open source" camera that has been made and it certainly seems like a more beneficial step from the photographer's point-of-view than what Hasselblad is doing. What would really like to see is, since different back makers are releasing it with their brand, they should at least be able to send information to the hand grip like a histogram or something. or am i mistaken and it already does this?

hello erik,

thank you for the info. There is one thing which is unclear to me . In this digital configuration

is the camera has a square image or a rectangular one .and what is the size of the sensor. To

me I am addicted to the square image and there is no interest in a rectangular sensor even if

you can do square images on film

Thank you for letting me know

I'm confused. You said the new, smaller body was made possible by removing the motor, so film magazines must have their own. Certainly there must still be a motor in the body to cock the spring mechanism that operates the reflex mirror. Am I correct? If so, where did they hide that motor?

Bob Shell

"What would really like to see is, since different back makers are releasing it with their

brand, they should at least be able to send information to the hand grip like a histogram

or something. or am i mistaken and it already does this?"

I don't think it will be useful to send histogram info to the hand grip as the dot matrix

B&W LCD there is not suitable for that type of graphical info. Digibacks are supposed to

have their own high resolution color LCD on their back where this kind of info can be

shown. There is however clearly an exchange of info between the camera and the back,

given the fact that the camera itself collects white balance info and hands it over to the

back. I expect it to be possible to exchange more info with the camera. The camera's

firmware can also be updated through the USB connection.

"In this digital configuration is the camera has a square image or a rectangular one? And

what is the size of the sensor?"

Basically this will depend on the back you will be mounting. F&H will offer it with a

Jenoptik/Sinar eMotion75 back, which is effectively 48 x 36mm. In the future this may

change as other CCD sizes come up.

"And the delivery date is when? I heard 2008 today."

I heard early 2007, which would make sense, given the amount of working prototypes

available at the Photokina.

"Any competition will be welcome in this space - especially by the MF digi back makers -

sad to see hasselblad trying to 'close' the system to alternative digi backs."

Yes, it turns out the Hasselblad H-route is going to be a terribly expensive trap into their

own backs. This Hy6 must be quite a shock to them now that they just were thinking to

have rolled up the entire competition. I have always disliked the Hasselblad attitude ("we

went to the moon") while there was little to substantiate it in terms of ultimate

performance. Even today they have their "moon cameras" on display in their Photokina

booth. (F&H had three twin lens reflexes on display as a lead to the past, but the

difference is that they actually make these new. And on a side-note: the new Tele-

Rolleiflex was also lovely to hold.)

"Certainly there must still be a motor in the body to cock the spring mechanism that

operates the reflex mirror. Am I correct? If so, where did they hide that motor?"

The Hy6 uses a direct drive motor to operate the mirror. As you know from the Rollei

lenses such a motor can be very compact (and ultra fast). Each lens has two of them: one

for the shutter and one for the aperture.

Erik, you're clearly well informed about the Hy6. Maybe you can answer a few questions.

I currently use the Hasselblad V system with a Phase One back. It covers most of my needs but not quite all, in particular I'd like a really wide lens (wider than 38mm), TTL flash capability, better hand-holding ergonomics, and no more lens to back cabling!

However, I'd struggle to relinquish the V system advantages of the distortion free 38mm Biogon, the shift and tilt capabilities of the Flexbody, and that great Hasselblad viewfinder experience where it's the back that rotates and not the camera!

I'll pass over the 39MP Phase One back and stay with my 22MP back, but I'll probably trade up with the next generation of digital backs that goes beyond 39MP. And that would be the time to review my camera system. Given my shopping list should I start saving for the Hy6?

Gary,

You'd better start saving money for the Hy6, considering your wish list. An S-Flektogon

2,8/35 mm was recently announced, amongst some other new lenses for the 6000/Hy6

cameras. (The S-Flektogon is designed to be especially distortion free.) I suppose these

designs will be used to create a new line of lighter, more compact lenses for the Hy6

under the D-AF label. However, this series will not come out immediately, because

currently all production energy will be directed towards the planned release date of the

Hy6 in May 2007.

All the other things on your wish list (TTL flash capability, better hand-holding

ergonomics, no more lens to back cabling, rotating back) will be served on a platter in

the Hy6. Plus a lot more that you never asked for but of which you will soon wonder how

you ever did without.

Your shift and tilt needs could be taken care of by the Rollei X-act2, which will take the

same magazines, digibacks and lenses. (And on a side-note: PhaseOne has teamed up

with Rollei to further develop and market the Rollei Metric system, which has the same

backside as the 6000 series cameras. So I expect to see a PhaseOne solution for the Hy6

as well in the near future. Rollei has already offered a bundle of the 6008AF with PhaseOne

back, so the adaptation itself is a fact already.)

<i>Dear Erik,</i>

<br>

<br>Many thanks for this nice article about Rollei Hy6 system!

<br>In addition to that one could found these large and detailed pictures of new MF system from Rollei interesting too (the first row):

<br><a href="http://www.pbase.com/omoses/eq_rollei">Rollei equipment</a>

<h5>--

<br>Kind regards,

<br>Oleg (aka oMoses)

<br><a href="http://www.pbase.com/omoses">oMoses online portfolio</a>

Thanks for the summary Erik. I had not really paid attention to the Hy6 (I just bought a

6008AF and have been really happy with it), but I suppose it is worth paying attention to. I

am glad that they are keeping the pricing in line with the 6008AF...the price of the H series

cameras is just insane, and while the 6008AF is too, it is a more reasonable level of insanity. I

must say I am not enamored of the styling choices they have made though. The red and grey

and silver just don't do it for me at all. It looks like a kids toy. Anyone ever play laser tag?

That is what it looks like..but that would not make a difference to me if the camera was good

enough. Hopefully it will keep the 6000 series lenses and the rest of F&H alive and well for

years to come.

Stuart, the list of newly announced lenses consists out of the following:

S-Flektogon 2,8/35 mm

Flektogon 2,8/50 mm

Biometar 2,8/80 mm

Tele-Biometar 4,0/150 mm

Tele-Biometar 2,8/150 mm

Vario-Biometar 4,6/60-140 mm

I am not sure there is a typo here, seeing the two 150mm models. These design names

were owned by Zeiss Jena, and are now probably owned by Jenoptik. I don't know anything

about these lenses, but it is likely that they are derived from the cooperation with Jenoptik.

How they fit in the Schneider/Zeiss series is unclear to me. Perhaps they have a limited

image circle or some other optimisation especially for the digibacks, but this is purely

speculation from my side. These lenses are supposed to have a new Schneider SCS

coating, but who builds them is unknown to me. F&H has officially announced to come up

with a new series of more compact lenses to match the smaller body. It could be these.

I forgot to add a link to the previous post:

http://www.photoscala.de/node/2155

It's in German. The image of the lenses shown there has no relation to the lenses announced.

Also, the article does not say that the SCS coating is from Schneider, but suggests it is from

F&H itself. My info that it is from Schneider is probably wrong, so please disregard it. The

article says the new lenses are specifically calculated and coated for digiback use, but doesn't

mention anything about image circle.

Ruben, Leica taking over came as a complete surprise to anyone involved. (See this thread

for my more detailed explanation:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IBqq )

At this time there is apparently no plan from F&H's side to license their mount to Leica. But

part of their agreement with Sinar might now fall under Leica's estate (unless it was a deal

with Jenoptik only). I don't know any details of these contracts. A lot will depend on what

Leica has in mind too. They are saying they want to become a major player in the high end

imaging market. Well, which company doesn't want to be a major player? Right now their

plans with Sinar are completely behind the curtains. So we'll have to wait and see how

things develop.

Erik,

Can the camera comfortably be held vertically (e.g., for shooting portraits)? I realize the

backs will rotate, but my understanding is that it's not a "push a button then turnt he

back" operation, but rather a "remove, rotate, reattach" operation. I find that when

shooting portraits, I turn the camera quite frequently, and removing the back and putting

back on wouldn't be very practical.

Also, does anyone have any insights on the eMotion versus the Leaf Aptus (new versions)?

Both the eMotion 75 and the Aptus 75 cost roughly the same. (Unfortunately, there's no

eMotion equivalent of the reduced-frame and much cheaper Aptus 65). Both have very

large buffers for continuous shooting and both use Dalsa chips. I believe the ISO on the

new Leaf backs (Aptus S series) is up to 800, while the eMotion is up to 400. Also, I think

that the Aptus can shoot in DNG RAW format, while the eMotion uses a proprietary RAW

format that can only be read by Sinar software, correct? (I'd much prefer to have a RAW

file that can be read by Lightroom/Camera Raw, which is why I'm asking. Of course, it's

possible that even if the eMotion uses a proprietary RAW format rather than DNG, the

eMotion RAW file could be readable by Lightroom/Camera Raw, which would work equally

well for me).

Any other thoughts on the eMotion v. the Aptus?

William, when handholded the Hy6 can be extremely comfortably turned vertically (with a

prism finder mounted). The left hand can support the camera even better then when kept

straight up in conjunction with the prism finder. Thanks to the rim that protects the

switches against unwanted changes when placing the camera on its side on a table it also

gives that type of support to the left hand. The grip is very firm and supports the full right

hand. It is longer than the camera is high (which is why it can also be turned to near

horizontal position in order to allow you to place the camera on a flat surface). The Hy6

doesn't feel like it is going to slip out of your hands when you don't pay attention. There is

even a removable leather sling going over your right hand for those situations that you

want to feel really secure (like when hanging out of helicopters and such).

See pictures in this thread too:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IF2D&tag=

Regarding the backs you mention: I can't say much about them as I haven't worked with

them. I just noticed that Leaf claims to have the fastest shooting backs of the industry

now. The Hy6 is ready to shoot at extremely short intervals as it can fire some ten/twelve

frames per second in high-speed mirror-up mode, when shutterspeed allows. I wonder

which back maker will be the first to match this ability to shoot really fast.

Erik,

Thanks for your detailed response. Another question: you said that "Also, for people pre-

ordering it with a Jenoptik back there will be a step-up program: first they will receive

their back with a 6008AF body and by the time the Hy6 becomes available it will be

swapped out." I would love to wait for the Hy6, and will get one eventually, but have qite

a bit of upcoming work for which I'd need medium format digital. So, this step-up

program would be ideal. Do you have any idea of whom one would contact regarding this,

i.e., Jenoptik or Rollei? In other words, I want to buy the eMotion w. the 6008AF body and

step-up to the Hy6 when it's available, but I want to make sure I'm doing it thru the

correct channel and process.