ROLLEIFLEX AUTOMAT

anthonymarsh

I am not sure when the PC sync socket we know today became standard.

your K4B2 did not come with flash sync out of the box when it sold in the 1940's, but it could be factory upgraded from the mid 1950's.

If the owner needed flash sync prior to the mid 50's, a repair techs could hack the camera with some nonstandard sync contacts .

A recently acquired Rolleicord II (1936-37) had such surgery done. It doesn't look pretty - and don't ask me how they work:

18658081-orig.jpg

IMG_3830.thumb.JPG.bd3a7e51eeb5863723f821051141e42a.JPG

IMG_3830.thumb.JPG.e1831fc668fa386fe4bce40ba4d1a46d.JPG

Niels

It looks rather crude to be an added flash terminal, but I can't think of any other purpose. Presumably it will just unscrew. As to removing the glue residue, a lot of scraping and elbow grease.

John, thank you it did unscrew. More advice please. How difficult to replace the mirror?

How difficult to replace the mirror?

Not too difficult. First you have to take off the hood, by removing the four screws which secure it, when it can just be lifted off. I can't remember exactly how the mirror is held down, I think there are two small brackets at the top and you have to unscrew them, which releases the mirror. There is a sort of springy metal "frog" under it which prevents it from moving.

I have bought a new TLR mirror from this seller: LINK --- --- --- Custom Cut TLR replacement mirrors | eBay

I've found that 91% isopropyl alcohol is effective at softening the glue.

That's interesting. I usually find it scrapes off fairly easily. I suspect that whoever fitted the flash terminal to your camera replaced the leatherette with a different and much harder glue than originally used by Rollei.

That's interesting. I usually find it scrapes off fairly easily. I suspect that whoever fitted the flash terminal to your camera replaced the leatherette with a different and much harder glue than originally used by Rollei.

John, that could be because when I tried different solvents RONSONAL, alcohol there is an acrid smell that I would not associate with ordinary leather.