Rolleiflex 3.5F lens hood fitting

lolver

<p>Hello all<br>

I acquired a 3.5F some months ago which came with a few accessories including a lens hood. I hadn't bothered fitting the hood until this week. And it doesn't fit properly/as expected:<br>

The hood has the usual markings - F&H logo on hood, 34o on chrome ring. One would expect that to click into place facing upwards. However the external lugs on the taking lens are 'Y' configuration and the logo's positioned at the top of the same shape, so it never centres properly.<br>

I thought about this for a while and then noticed that the viewing lens has its lugs the opposite way round. And sure enough the hood fits perfectly onto that.<br>

So, the assumption I have to make is that what I have is a <em>viewing</em> lens hood, which I suppose has some small practical use. Now I need to get the correct hood for my other lens.<br>

Is that assumption correct? Are there several different types of hood (for Bay II)?<br>

Laurence</p>

<p>I don't know about two kind of Bay II hoods, but two Bay 2 caps, as far a I know. For my 3.5 F I have an R II sign on it. Are you sure you put it properly ? You have to turn it clockwise. Funny I can't get mine on the viewing lens.</p>

<p>(a) If it will fit (upside-down) on the viewing (top) lens, it should fit (right side up) on the taking (bottom) lens-- unless I'm missing something. I just tried this with my 3.5E, anyway, and it works.</p>

<p>(b) Try again. Place it so the gap in the female bayonet faces up, and the spaces line up with the Y-pattern lugs external to the lens mount. Rotate the hood an eighth of a turn to the right, and it should click into place and be square with the camera.</p>

<p>© The lens spacing should not be an important variable. The 3.5E3 and 3.5F cameras have a slightly larger spacing between the top and bottom lenses, which is why there's two different kinds of Bay II caps for Rolleiflex-- like Yann says. </p>

<p>(d) Parenthetically, a hood for the view lens is not a bad idea in flarey conditions. Some of the Mamiya TLR hoods were box-like and shaded both lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for your replies. If there really isn't a viewing lens hood, then this has to be for another model.<br>

My rather shaky photo below shows the orientation of the Y, and it's the same as the lugs on the 3.5F - swivel the hood up as if placing it on the lens, it will fit but when you twist to secure it will be off-centre. Best achievement is hood fitted, on square but the logo facing the side.<br>

Well, interesting conundrum. No R II markings, just the logo, the diameter (34) and 'Germany' on the opposite side.</p><div>00Xo0v-308847784.jpg.0a7ca08e6cd9e1135b29b7cfae59f4d7.jpg</div>

<p>Could it be a "Frankenhood"? If it's the type with the set screws around the perimeter then some previous owner may have rotated it for use on a different camera. There are a number of hoods on the market. Check the auction site and you can see at least three types.</p>

<p>I have one here that I've been trying to identify for a number of years. Looks like a Bay II but wont fit the 3.5F. Too large to be a Bay I. It may have belonged to the (rare) postwar black Baby Rollei that I sold off years ago.</p>