Rolleiflex 3.5 Schneider-Kreuznach Xenotar Question

jimnorwood

Hi

I've been offered a Rolleiflex 3.5 Schneider-Kreuznach Xenotar with a removable viewfinder and a light meter.

The serial number is 1776517. I'm having trouble identifying what model this is. Looking up here

Post-War Rolleiflex 3.5 serial # at Rolleigraphy

Seller claims 1952-1953. Serial number seems to indicate a 3.5E 1956-59 and that this serial number should have a Planar lens ?

728722473_Screenshot2019-12-02at22_32_50.thumb.png.4034215e39340dc5c8f0abc2920ccbba.png

It's the first version of the 3.5E, which you'll sometimes see listed as the 3.5C. This version of the 3.5E does not have a removable viewfinder, though subsequent versions of the camera did (if it were removable, there would be a little tab on either side of the finder; press the tabs and you can then lift the finder off). As to why it doesn't conform to one of the lists of serial numbers and characteristics you can find online, no real answer. Sometimes serial numbers were skipped and then used later after a camera's specifications had changed, or parts ran short and others were for a time substituted, or the factory had a special order for a Xenotar. I have a 2.8B that, according to some lists of Rollei serial numbers, shouldn't exist, but it does, and it sits in my cabinet. For the most part, a serial number was only intended as a unique identifier for a specific camera and there were times when the numbers were somewhat haphazardly doled out.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you check out this site?

Rolleiflex - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

at the bottom there are some useful links to identify your Rollei

It's the first version of the 3.5E, which you'll sometimes see listed as the 3.5C. This version of the 3.5E does not have a removable viewfinder, though subsequent versions of the camera did (if it were removable, there would be a little tab on either side of the finder; press the tabs and you can then lift the finder off). As to why it doesn't conform to one of the lists of serial numbers and characteristics you can find online, no real answer. Sometimes serial numbers were skipped and then used later after a camera's specifications had changed, or parts ran short and others were for a time substituted, or the factory had a special order for a Xenotar. I have a 2.8B that, according to some lists of Rollei serial numbers, shouldn't exist, but it does, and it sits in my cabinet. For the most part, a serial number was only intended as a unique identifier for a specific camera and there were times when the numbers were somewhat haphazardly doled out.