Rolleiflex 2.8E Shots

I was real lucky a couple years ago when I ran across a Planar 2,8E Rolleiflex in an old used camera shop in Beijing. After some haggling I got it for $150 USD. It had a small scratch on the front element and is a real beater as for cosmetics but it takes beeeeeeeeyouuuteful photographs. Slow speeds are dragging some so it's off to Paul Ebel this week. But wonderful camera.<p>

Very nice shots Mike. Some shots from mine are here: <p>

<a href="http://not.contaxg.com/folder.php?id=239">http://not.contaxg.com/folder.php?id=239</a>

Mike: I like all the shots, but the self portrait is something extra special. It's excellent! Yes. S Liu has got us all digging out our Rolleis. Yesterday, I took the first roll in a year with my Rollei 3.5 E Planar. It was a series of Claudia stretched out napping and reading on our divan, but am having a big problem with new scanner with 6x6 format. Will write directly for advice.

Ah the Rolleiflex. Someday. Nice shots Mike.

Lester:

If you have an Epson 4880 or similar and are scanning in Thumbnail mode (the button just next to the preview button in the Epson scanning interface) you need to switch it to Normal mode for 6x6. The 4880 and its kin can only do Thumbnails for 35mm. The difference is that in Normal mode you have to select each frame manually.

When you switch to Normal mode, try scanning the film on the glass rather than in a holder. Position the film curving away from the bottom glass & reverse the image in Photoshop if necessary. You can also straighten the image in PS too. That avoids Newtoning and allows for scanning the whole frame internegative style.

Mike, get Ally's portrait printed on baryted paper and have it framed asap !!!

The selfportrait is nice too - maybe a bit too serious for me ;-) - depends on final purpose of course.

Rolleiflexes are not hard to find, there are plenty of them laying around, on the net or in shops (even in 2nd hand junk stores !). I traded my mint 3.5F for a Nikon MD-12 motordrive eight years ago. I mean : I gave the motordrive, and got the Rollie ;-)

The 2.8 is the top of the line, thus expensive, but the 3.5F is just as good IMHO and far more affordable.

Many slides to share here... no MF slide scanner available... a problem to face asap !!

Yes Mike why bother with shooting with other MF cameras when a Rollie is at home.

Acros 100 is said to be splendid, it is.

Thanks so much for all of that - a blow of fresh air !!!

Andrea, I had the chance to compare shots through an early YashicaMat from 1960 and a 124G which, at a guess, is mid-late-seventies. Both with a Yashinon 80mm lens, but the later model (which I keep) scores waaaay higher on contrast. Other things being equal, I'd suggest as late a year as possible.

Lovely shots Mike, especially the shuttered window and your little one.

Acros certainly is quite a nice film. I think for 100 speed B+W I will standardise on it and Efke 100 as much as possible.

Paul

All were Acros 100 rated at 100 and processed for 5 minutes in HC-110 dilution B at 21 Celcius. I was really taken aback not only how nice this film looks on the light table but how well it scans on my Epson 3200. I will definitely be buying some more now after this first experiment.

All were hand-held except the serious self portrait. I hate getting my picture taken and I just can't hold much of an expression as the self timer ticks down. That, and on the Rollei, I can barely hear the self timer running from a meter away outdoors. Lester, its great that you liked the self portrait because you were the inspiration. I used to think it was kind of vain, but I take the view now that it is a way for the kids to see me in the future. What I looked like "back in the day".

TLRs are great and I've shot with a few different types with Tessar and Tessar clones, but I think you haven't received the entire experience until you try a Rollei with the Planar or Xenotar lens. My suggestion is to scrape and scrounge as long as necessary to get one. I would worry a lot more about condition than Zeiss vs Schneider or f/2.8 vs f/3.5 unless you really want the extra speed. The Ally shot really did need f/2.8 with a slow shutter speed and the Tessar would not have held-up to that standard.

Its really only the F models that command top dollar, especially the late ones. An early E like mine, or even a C or D will be fine if you can live without a coupled meter and interchangeable viewfinder. I like the E the best because C has a weak plastic shutter lock and the D has the (hated by me!) EVS system permanently switched on.