Rolleicord IV please help

tomwawer

Hello good medium format people!

I have just got my first medium format camera - a Rolleicord IV.

While older than me by 10 years it is beatiful.

I have read the manual and addendum and all posts and I am confused.

When I opened up the back to load film I could not figure whether I

should put the film over or under the roller(long thin rolling tube)

just next to the spool. There are both ways pictured in the manual.

Another question - is the 1/500 speed restricted like in older

Rolleiflexes to be set befor tensioning the shutter?

Thank you for patience!

Best regards,

Tom

Ferdi, I have Synchro-Compur. When I cock at 1/500 time it requires much more force and when I shoot it goes really hard and loud compared to 1/250. Time lever is also stuck in position when I cock at 1/500 and doesn't want to go when cocked above 1/250. I am afraid to break it so don't push hard. Besides in winter I use rather 1/10 or 1/5 anyway:D I made a couple of pictures and it is real pleasure - quiet, huge diplay, rather dim but of course I plan to change to Beattie or Maxwell and the feeling. Rolleicord is simple, fast and efficient. Thank you for all the answers! Tom

Hello once again!

After a while I asked my Dad (he's a mechanical wizard:) and we sat together to do some serious work on my new 'cord. We cleaned the glass matte and the mirror (carefully) Now the matte glass is some 3 stops brighter and focusing is a breeze. Cool! You could not imagine how much muck was on the mirror. I believe I committed genocide - I had killed some emerging species there for sure:)

Now I have another issue: I flashed strong light at 3.5/B and open cover. There are about ten-twelve scratches visible, very thin on both front and rear glass, or rather on the coating, and some very small dots of dust inside, about 20-30. What is your opinion - search for better item or forget about it. I shot some pictures and they blew me off but I was with 35mm all life. If I go and enlarge some picture to 20"x20" will I be able to tell if the lens perform? Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards,

Tom