Rolleicord Art Deco???

Hello All

I found a Rolleicord in very good leather case at a yard sale, 20 bucks, and the lens cleaned up nice and the speeds actually sound good.

If there are any Rolleicord experts that can help me identify the model I would appreciate it.

In Butkus the model looks the same as the Art Deco but doesn't have the Deco plates and there is no exposure table on the back and no button to secure the case behind the film knob on the focus side of camera. This one also has a 3.8 lens rather than the 4.5.

I have attached photos so if you can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.7bc469b7aad5d797d5ff175a848a40e3.JPG IMG_1715.thumb.JPG.bddd19ae321179dfff8501e1d6588b41.JPG IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.2e55ad179359b621a957ef22a44c631c.JPG IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.36f4ae6f46970d2c28937ffc3cbbbcb5.JPG IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.8d5001d3ebdea6ec627e1f76b652d6f0.JPG IMG_1713.thumb.JPG.4cf06b768f8b2dff8b0d996fd979b29b.JPG

IMG_1713.thumb.JPG.a8fe9a47a9866b53e22b9901c8d1090c.JPG

• Like 5

It says film 120 is that possible?

What a lovely find. Yes it takes 120 film like all Rollei's except the original Rolleiflex model, which was designed for 6 exposures on 117 film. Most have been converted to 620.

I think there's a red window on the bottom, you have to advance the film until the number appears in the window.

Very Nice.. when you conisder the age... great condition.

I have a now 20 year pproject Art Deco that was probably left in a drawer that collected water and amazingly .. it still worked but looked horrible. I tried to take the hood off but every screw but one broke so I have one sample screw I used a dremel drill and the sample screw to tap the broken screw holes.. The silver mirror had a big black deposit on it. Ruining the focus/view. I ordered a replacement screen from Rick Oleson and I tried cutting a polaroid mirror .. but to no avail... I eventually ordered some mirrors, that I think might work, but I abandoned the project ...waiting to find the right screws to assemble it. Meanwhile .. there's a guy cutting mirrors to size so .. I could eventually... in this life time ...get this back working like it was before I decided to fix it :(

DSC00291.thumb.JPG.91bc2a324d65e308e499b48a2860715a.JPG

Don't be decieved this camera is rusted inside all over etc ..

x670.jpg.432862d13e53275859ded607e319ba62.jpg

Before removing the screen

DSC00672.thumb.JPG.9bc0302c86e54596d491e5aed2a81c98.JPG

Three broken screws later...

Hank4.thumb.jpg.c28bcd6471c4c000ec0b0c7085d43330.jpg

This little boy is now 26

Edited by chuck_foreman|1
  • Like 6

Hello All

I found a Rolleicord in very good leather case at a yard sale, 20 bucks, and the lens cleaned up nice and the speeds actually sound good.

If there are any Rolleicord experts that can help me identify the model I would appreciate it.

In Butkus the model looks the same as the Art Deco but doesn't have the Deco plates and there is no exposure table on the back and no button to secure the case behind the film knob on the focus side of camera. This one also has a 3.8 lens rather than the 4.5.

I have attached photos so if you can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

[ATTACH=full]1427983[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1427984[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1427985[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1427986[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1427987[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1427988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1427982[/ATTACH]

Hello,

This is a Rolliecord 1 dated December 1934 and by the serial no. very early in the production.In John Philips The Classic Rollei the pictures and information match.

I would suggest you check the speeds and the lens for haze or fungus then try a film through it to see if you like it. If it suits you, consider a brighter screen which I think can be easily sourced for the more modern models but could be modified to the right size as they are plastic in most cases.

Good luck with it .That serial number indicates a very early model so worth keeping!

Good luck

Dave

Hello,

This is a Rolliecord 1 dated December 1934 and by the serial no. very early in the production.In John Philips The Classic Rollei the pictures and information match.

I would suggest you check the speeds and the lens for haze or fungus then try a film through it to see if you like it. If it suits you, consider a brighter screen which I think can be easily sourced for the more modern models but could be modified to the right size as they are plastic in most cases.

Good luck with it .That serial number indicates a very early model so worth keeping!

Good luck

Dave

Thanks David

I did find the serial number inside the camera and it is 62014

I have posted some photos from the first roll in the Week for May 27 thread in this forum

The came out under but better than expected and were usable so I am happy even with some of the leaks, which I may have contributed to bu using the counter window in the sun light rather that using the camera counter.

Thanks again

Don

Very Nice.. when you conisder the age... great condition.

I have a now 20 year pproject Art Deco that was probably left in a drawer that collected water and amazingly .. it still worked but looked horrible. I tried to take the hood off but every screw but one broke so I have one sample screw I used a dremel drill and the sample screw to tap the broken screw holes.. The silver mirror had a big black deposit on it. Ruining the focus/view. I ordered a replacement screen from Rick Oleson and I tried cutting a polaroid mirror .. but to no avail... I eventually ordered some mirrors, that I think might work, but I abandoned the project ...waiting to find the right screws to assemble it. Meanwhile .. there's a guy cutting mirrors to size so .. I could eventually... in this life time ...get this back working like it was before I decided to fix it :(

[ATTACH=full]1428163[/ATTACH]

Don't be decieved this camera is rusted inside all over etc ..

[ATTACH=full]1428164[/ATTACH]

Before removing the screen

[ATTACH=full]1428165[/ATTACH]

Three broken screws later...

[ATTACH=full]1428167[/ATTACH]

This little boy is now 26

Hello Chuck

That looks like quite the project, I am impressed when I see people taking on such projects.

I am afraid I would ruin something if I tried to do something like that.

Don

Don... My work so far .. is a now over 10 year project that got dropped.. Regrettably, in removing the screen, I broke three of the four screws.. now I need to find those replacement screws ... which I've wasted 12 years twiddling my thumbs.. Meanwhile the original show stopper.. a replacement mirror is an easy fix as someone now cuts custom mirrors. I did buy a replacement screen ,, so if I ever set my mind to finding replacement screws .. I might just comlete this now 12 year project. the photos I made prior to the "It ain't broke, but I can fix it"

I have done nothing more than remove the focussing screen... Interesting, there is a close focus mirror adjustment to try and compensate for parallax error. Even back in the 30s they were addressing this problem with TLRs.

Replacement mirrors are easily sourced from HUGO Studio

I replaced the mirror in the Rolleicord II Type 1 below before I sold it.

The mirror was corroded and in an attempt to gently clean it up, just made things worse - as often the case with surface coated mirrors.

It seemingly is an incredibly robust camera. Mine had seen a lot of rough handed use, and if you look carefully, you'll notice the retrofitted non-standard flash sync on the front, and that the taking lens was coated (probably post WWII)

51865781311_9fac8a3c42_k.jpg

• Like 2
Niels

• 4 months later...