Rollei XF 35

I don't have a manual either, but what's wrong with the Auto setting?

Actually I have the Voigtlaender VF135 which is virtually identical.

Just set the mode ring to Auto position and the ASA dial to correct value. If the lightmeter works, the needle should point to certain speed/aperture combinations. These combos cannot be altered - the XF35 has a two-blade shutter/aperture mechanism where shutter speed is related to aperture opening, at highest speed (1/650) it will just open to f/14.

I just returned from a vacation where I shot some rolls with the VF135. It's a nice camera although it does not feel very solid due to the plastic body and the clunky shutter.

Be careful not to drop or bang it. A friend had one and it turned in very acceptable pictures until he dropped it onto a table, not more than a foot, after which it became erratic. He took it to a repairman who said it wasn't economical to repair and that he'd seen several with similar problems. The repairman went on to say that the design wasn't really shockproof enough for a camera intended as a snapshot tool.

I've seen several XF-35s in dealers' bargain bins over the years, marked as not working, which lends some support to the repairman's claim.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...