Rollei wide TLR?

geoffrey goldberg

I don't have one, but if you want the option of haveing different/interchangeable lenses the logical choice would be the Mamiya C330 TLR. Focuses closes, too, but it is bigger and heavier than a Rollei.

I have heard many times how much heavier the C-Series is than the Rollei, but how much lighter can you get? After hand holding an RZ for a little and stepping down to my C220 I can't even tell it's in my hands. I know Rollei has a great reputation, but I dont mind a little extra weight (translates into added durability to me). The 55mm lens for the c-series has its widest opening at f4.5, and the 65mm at f3.5, and I have never had a hardtime handholding at these apertures in the field.

<em>"and with F4, are they too slow to hand-hold in the field?"</em>

<p>you should see what slowest shutter speed you can shoot at (with sharp results)

to find out if F4 is too slow.

<p> On my tlr its slowest is f3.5 but i barely use it as corner sharpness is non-existent.

1/10sec is the slowest i can hand hold with (with the neck strap). with a wider

lens my guess is that i could shoot even lower than this.

<p> remember its medium format so you can get away with fast films like delta3200.

delta3200 devd in rodinal looks like trix in 35mm to me

A new Rollei TLR with a 50mm f/4.0 lens will run you $4,800:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=303163&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The price wouldn't be dramatically different if you were to find an old or new Rollei wide TLR used.

If you need to shoot square and want a relatively lightweight camera with a wide lens and a leaf shutter, I would advise you to buy a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm f/4.0 lens.<div>00Fuew-29238584.jpg.67d650a17bfc922bbd6c379fd9ea7be6.jpg</div>

"And BTW, if you want to shoot a wide angle in the range of 50mm on an MF camera, you'll

need to get used to f/4.0. The only thing faster would be, say, the 50mm f/3.5 for the

Hasselblad H1 (645)- the lens alone retailing for upwards on $3K."

There is a 50mm Schneider Super-Angulon f/2.8 PQS (shutter speed of 1/1000) made for

the Rolleiflex 6003- 6008 series cameras.

Diane Arbus used a Rollei wide, it's a great camera with a fantasic lens.

Geoff,

Don't try to stick to TLR to go wide. Many other cameras do it better for less money. My

SWC was 'only' $1,200.

If you don't have to have a Square image, there are lots of options in Fuji, Mamiya, Pentax.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

RE: F4 too slow in the Field? Do you only shoot wide open? There are some very

affordable Mamiya M645 options but they are still only f 3.5 at the fastest.

If you really need fast and wide you might pick up a 35mm for that particular use. It never

hurt Winogrand.

Great cameras! If you are already a rollei devotee, and are looking for a wide field lens, the wide is a great catch. I tend to use the wide as my first choice camera, an excellent all arounder, wether it be people or pictorial. Like its standard and tele siblings, its light, quick, quiet, and Carries beautifully. I also prefer the Exposure Value setup as found on the E based cameras. The SWC is also a great camera, but an extreme one. I found the finder too compromised, but it really didnt matter, everything I saw was going to be in the picture! The finder often stayed at home and I used the camera top as a quick horizon line leveler. The Rollei I can use everyday, the SWC... not really. The other cameras mentioned are all probably excellent too, but if you are already a Rollei tlr devotee....why travel?