Rollei TLR pistol grip usage?

brian_prestemon

The L grip is the most widely used for a TLR. The pistol grip is just for eyelevel shots with either the Prism finder or the sportsfinder in the viewing hood. I wouldn't hold a pro size medium format camera without the L bracket. If you would have any shots of moving objects, children, pets,etc, then, that is where the pistol grip shines.

I did recently get a pistol grip off ebay for cheap and it is kind of interesting with the

prism and I think you might be able to handhold better but really I can't see how anyone

would use it on a regular basis. Don't buy one of the ones on ebay you constantly see

listed for 80 or a hundred dollars, wait till one gets listed low minimum bid and no

reserve. I got mine for 25 dollars with an excellent condition rolleifix.

I prefer a L grip. I tried several times this pistol grip but I don't like it.The focusing ring

is on the left and the wind on the right, so when you want to go to the next view you

can't to it easily ! The other problem is that the stability is not really good.

For me the best alternative is a L backet like this one, made with a Vivitar L grip, a part

of a Metz bracket and a Rolleifix. With this system that I hold with my left hand, I have

the focusing ring and the release ( with a cable release) just next to my fingers. My

right hand is ready to go to the next view. It is very fast.<div>00PnnL-48623784.thumb.jpg.9178b54c84f25ca7b0a58a02609b15b7.jpg</div>

I use the pistol grip when shooting posed sports pictures. It allows me to place the camera almost at ground level and look down (no prism) to focus and compose. It's a great device for just that purpose.

The second one I bought is what was mentioned before - so I could remove the Rolleifix and use it on a tripod.

I use the pistol grip only when there's a prism aboard. And since I always use a prism, I always use the grip.

You need to set the shutter release on the pistol grip to be extremely sensitive. Otherwise, you will jar the camera. If you get it just right, it will spare you the awkwardness of depending on the camera release while using a prism--very awkward.

• 1 year later...
<p>I only use the pistol grip on my tele-rolleiflex and prism. Like the others here, I prefer an L-bracket with my 2.8 models. I find the tele-Rolleiflex balances and works better with a pistol grip and prism. In addition, I find the pistol grip only works with the 90 degree prism and not with the waist finder or a 45 degree prism.</p>