Rollei B35

Dear list,

I got an used black Rollei B35 in good shape for 65 uSs. I

know this is the cheapest model of the 35 rollei?s and that the lens

its not quite good, but I thought it was a good price. Was it?.

My question is: How actually the lightmeter works?. I know it

doesn?t use batteries, but I only see the needle appear when

shooting on sunny days. Does it work only in exterior or hi light

situations? Or my cell is caput?.

thanks!

Agustin

If you got a black "Made in Germany" B35 you've got a highly collectible B35. Most of the black B35 (renamed 35B after 1976) are Singaporean. Most of the "Made in Germany" B35 are chrome. So the "Made in Germany" black B35 are quite rare.

The lightmeter : this is a selenium uncoupled light meter that works without battery.

Try to set it at 400 ASA or more to see if you see the needle better indoors.

The selenium cell might be a little tired too but a selenium cell can be revived (the main problem is oxydation on the cell contacts and the galvanometer track).

See : http://www.rolleicamera.com for further info about this model.

The B35 was my very first camera, given by my parents when I was 14. The meter is not very sensitive and will work in daylight only - it is more or less limited to the camera's shutter speed/f-stop range which starts at 1/30 and f/3.5. It is not coupled. You set the film speed, and then turn the dial to the shutter speed you are going to use. The needle is supposed to point to the appropriate aperture which you have to set manually.

BTW someone still sells B35 meter assemblies from time to time on german ebay. You should check the meter indications against a known good meter to make sure whether it still works correctly. Mine still does since I keep it in its bag in a drawer. Haven't used this camera for years now.

Agustin - Perhaps this <a href=http://www.rolleicamera.com/manb35.htm>B35 online manual</a> will be helpful. As mentioned, that type of meter cell is not known for great low-light sensitivity.<p><p>

Post some pictures for us when you get the camera up and running.