Rollei 6008i Final Inspection

manfred_nehab

Yesterday I received a new 6008i directly from Rollei Germany.

Unpacking all parts I discovered, that the cover of remote control

plug was missing, there was no second battery pack and no second

insert for the film back ( theese parts belong to the 6008i package as

offered in Germany; see product description of the Rollei homepage).

Now I am very suspicious about the overall quality and reliability of

Rollei.

What are your experiences?

I never bought directly from Rollei in Germany - but have bought a 6008i, accessories and lenses from Robert White in England (also some accessories from B&H) - with never a problem. Everything was packed correctly, all plugs, attachments, lens cover, whatever on the item I bought.

Perhaps these 2 dealers do an incoming inspection so the final customers never see the problems you did. In any case, my experience has been nothing but very good.

I bought the Rollei 6008i in Hong Kong Jan. 2001 and the packing description has ONLY one battery and one insert for the film.

The dealers said that it is least product because Rollei Germany just increased the price of 6008i.

I have never see any problems in my 600i because I use this camera in my last trip to UTAH.

All photos are excellent (40mm f/3.5, 120mm f/4 and 250mm f5.6)

As far as I know, the current kit #56522 includes one battery and one film insert (I just bought one of those kits). As for the remote control plug cover, my personal opinion is that it is poorly designed... first, it is "push in", and not screw in. That means that eventually it will fall off. Second, once you remove it to insert the connector, there is no place to keep the cover, again implying that it will fall off one fine day. Third, it is the cheapest molded plastic I have seen.

That said, you should have got it, and I believe that you should write a letter to Rollei asking them for one. If they have any sense at all, they'll send you a few ;-)

Please don't judge the quality of the entire camera by the fact that the company's website is lame and their plastic cover design is lame... And in passing, Robert White and dealers do not generally inspect goods before selling them, since this means that the seals on the boxes have to be broken.

I am also a little scared about Rollei's future...

Dear All,

I bought my 6008i from Jebsen Co. Hong Kong about 3 years ago. But there was a problem with the shutter release (I forgot the nature of the problem already) and they replaced the body within a week.

As for the remote control cover I have lost mine 2 months after I bought my camera and I am now taking pictures without the plastic cover. It seems that the picture quality is not affected :).

Regards,

Tak

The story continues with a happyend:

The day after sending my complaints to Rollei, I got a very friendly answer:

I received the missing cover and they informed me, that there was a misunderstanding concerning the items of the 6008I package. They had changed the setup of the package since beginning of 2001 but didn't update their homepage. But as a gesture of goodwill they would send the second battery and insert for free.

So it happened.

Next day I received the parts!!!! Many thanks to Rollei!!!