walter_lemann

What are the salient feature differences between the Rollei 6008

Professional and 6008 Integral.

Do they both use the same lenses?

I have heard one criticism of Rollei that they are going to be hard to

get repaired because they are not as available and popular in US as is

Hasselblad.

Your thoughts, please.

Info from HP Marketing at the Rollei.org site detailing the differences from SLX through 6008i

http://www.rollei.org/Rollei/Products/600xcmpr.html

The criticism is likely from the sales guy who does not sell Rollei cameras. I for one do not listen to the guy who wants my money. Rollei is the best MF camera on the market(imho). Repair is as easy or hard as you make it. Pretty much the same for anything you buy these days. I have the 6008 SRC1000 with many lenses. Zero problems after over 3 years. Lots of harsh use. Mountains, humid tropics, hot, cold, rain, dust, sand... with some common sense care, these things last.

The integral has the 5 spot metering, hi-D screen, and fully programmable master control functions and TTL flash via the sca356 adapter. Both use the same lenses, but the operation of flash is different; on the pro model, the sca adapter sets the speed while on the integral, the magazine sets the speed. I believe the integral has fully autobracketing in manual mode, too, while the pro doesn't, but I don't use this feature. You can, of course, use the master control to customize your bracketing, customize exposure times, etc. The exposure times up to 30 sec and shutter speeds/apertures in 1/3 stop increments is very nice...I only notice how spoiled I've become when I use my 6x17, which has no meter and shutter speeds to a pathetic 1 sec in 1 stop increments.

Judging from responses I've received by email and posts to the MFD, the popularity has increased since Rollei took over sales/marketing of Rollei in the USA (and, hence, prices drastically have dropped). They'll tell you that Marflex can only repair the 6008, but others can (in Japan, it's no easier renting/repairing Hasselblad than Rollei...only Japanese-made stuff is easy to get repaired :-) ). For used equipment, the guy to contact is Hadley Chamberlain, who has many satisfied customs and advertises in the classifieds in Shutterbug.

I too will admit that I've become spoiled using my Rollei 6008i system

...so much so that 3 other camera systems I used to use are now gathering dust. The model differences you inquired about were pretty well covered so I'll address your question regarding service (USA I presume). I've owned my 6008i system for a little over a year and the only problem encountered was with the 80mm lens. It began to produce erratic exposures so I returned it to Marflex in New Jersey. They replaced the diaphram solinoid and returned to my western US location.

I was without use of the lens for only 8 days. I thought that was pretty impressive.

I have a Rollei 6008i with three lenses and agree that it is a superb camera and system. However I am beginning to have reservations. When HP Marketing imported these cameras the prices were high but you had someone to talk to when you needed help or had a question to ask. That was Bob Solomon who is missed. Rollei Fototechnic doesn't answer letters , E-mail, usually no one is there to answer questions, and they don't return phone calls. I even baited a letter with a $20.00 check to try to get some literature. Still nothing. I have never had a company completely ignore me; it makes you wonder about its viability and whether bankruptcy is in its future. The Hasselblad is older technology but they certainly are helpful; I am thinking about switching.

Edward S. Carmick M. D.

hello to everyone!I read all contents of MFD in regards to rolleis

the information put forth is exciting.I havent seen any mention of

rollei now under the ownership of samsung optical/electronic a korean

company.They also own Harmon/Kardon International.Hopefully they mimic

what they been doing with H.K. offering high end equipment more

affordable to us-also reintroducing classic/rare/popular equipment.

Maybe this is already true,Rollei has introduce a new series of lenses

for the 6000 series which are optically indentical but at a lower cost

I just had a thougth.Maybe this is already common knowledge,that's

why I haven't seen any referance listed

Edward is right! I emailed Rollei USA more than a month ago for literature but not a peep from them so far. Bob Salomon posted them to me within a week of my enquiry when HP Marketing was handling Rollei. I don't understand the apathy of Rollei USA. If they're trying to crack the professional and 'serious amateur' (whatever that means) market they're not trying hard enough. By the way, ( this is not a personal remark, Joe M_) to hell with all the 'classic/rare/popular' models and stuff. I buy a system to use and make a living off, not to display on a shelf. I need a system that works easily, reliably and precisely. The collectors' market can't support the industry. Gone are the days when cameras doubled as mechanical works of industrial art as well as photographic tools. Shopped for a Vacheron Constantin, Patek Phillipe, Audemars Piguet, or a Blancpain recently? Not something for telling the time but wow at their prices. Maybe that explains the appeal behind the Hasselblad 500 series, and partly the Leica M.

I wish that Rollei will dispense with that silly unique Nicad battery powering the 6008 Integrale which turns all 6008's into doorstops when Rollei decides one day to phase it out, and use AA batteries instead. Fuji did that with its new 680 III so I don't see why Rollei can't. Rollei has about the most advanced, most ergonomic 6X6 system out there with arguably the best MF lenses around but bad marketing and lack of presence don't help. End of peeve.

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen: late last year, I called Rollei here in the USA, asking for literature on the 6008. I left my name/ address on a recording. About a week later, I received 2 brochures: one, complete brochure on the 6008i/E/ 6003 Pro, the other on the newer 6001...

Had a problem with the aperture ring on my 180 and a minor problem with my 6008 Professional [both of which I purchased used]. Marflex fixed & returned them w/in about a week....only problems after almost 5 years... yes, Hassies are more popular--more available here in the USA--especially if you need to rent that special lens, for example. Having used both systems, I opted for the Rollei because I found it a better and an easier camera & system to use.

Yes, same lenses can be used on both cameras. One difference between the Pro & Integral is the meter sensivity on the former is EV 3-20 [iso 100 f/2.8], while on the latter EV 0-20. Also check out Mr. Greenspun's detailed analysis on the 6008, together w/other follow-ups to the system [you can access it via www.hecphoto.com...,then click "6008."--BILL

• 1 month later...
I am new to Rollei system. I just want to add some of my experience with Rollei customer services. I think they take very long to answer the email. Sometime they don't respond. But I have been able to talk to someone on the phone. I call them very often. They also sent a catolog as I requested in few days. So far I am happy with them.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had occasion to have my rollei 6008 repaired at Marflex. I

called them on Monday morning to ask about how to ship it. They were

most courteous and I sent it overnight from California. Tuesday

afternoon I received a call from Carmen that the repair was done and

we chatted in general about Rollei's and the Integral vs Pro models.

Thursday morning my Rollei was back in Caifornia working fine !!!

I would call that GOOD servi

• 2 months later...
I retract my previous statements about RolleiFoto USA being unresponsive. I emailed them a few days ago and got a response the next day. I asked them for a catalog and it arrived at my doorstep in three days. That's fast. I guess when I emailed them the first time round they were in the process of taking over the operation from HP Marketing. Teething problems then and they are all gone now. RolleiFoto USA is doing some very good things to the brand-name and I have confidence in their support of the Rollei marque Stateside. Nope, this is not a paid announcement :)

• 6 months later...

I just like to contribute to the discution. I owned Rollei Professional for about five years now. I have NOT have a problems with it, so far.I even have the first battery which was supplies with the camera! Of course I have replaced the cells twice by a professional company "SIOMAR" in Perth [Western Australia], for small amount-ca.$20US.

At one point in the past, I run into large amount of money and I bought {spontaneously] a APO-SYMAR 4.6 150mm Macro Lens.

Because I am big goofy person, I did not reallised, that this particular lens is to be used together with a bellow or 67mm tube.

Well the dealer probably did not known as well!

Since I discovered your webside I am more educated!By the way,I contacted ROLLEI in Germany, explaining my problems and got promptanswer to all my questions + a Rollei Magazine .

Cheers Petr Kozak