Rollei 35 lens lock/release question

<p>Hello,<br>

I just got a Rollei 35 in excellent condition, and I'm having trouble with the lens. I can pull it out of the body, but it will not turn either way (it's supposed to go clockwise), so it does not engage and allow me to shoot. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!<br>

Charlie</p>

<p>I'd start by looking at the action with the camera back off. It could be that some how the shutter was released with the lens collapsed or partially collapsed. This is not supposed to be possible to do but I've seen Rollei 35's in this state. If this happens, lens collapsed with shutter released, a linkage prevents the lens from extending fully so that it can be rotated and locked. I think you may be able to use a flat blade screwdriver to push and rotate the linkage out of the way so the lens lugs can slip past it and then be rotated and locked. If this is the problem and no damage has occurred then the camera should operate normally. In a Rollei 35 *NEVER* try to collapse the lens without cocking the shutter first.</p>

<p>On the other hand the camera could be just plain broken and none of the foregoing would be valid.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

<p>The lever on the left (black) trips the shutter. Test it to see it in action.</p>

<ul>

<li>Behind, if you use a bright light, you should see a brass/copper coloured "lock".</li>

<li>Find a way to jam it out of the way (I used a knife then pushed it to the left).</li>

<li>Use your other hand to pull the lens out and lock it (you may need to use a <strong>bit</strong> of force to lock it).</li>

<li>Done.</li>

</ul>

<p>Exercise the lens a few times (with the knife out) and work the rotation a bit to make sure that everything's alright.</p>