Rolex or M9?

travis1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I love the Submariner myself. You could get an M9 and Citizen or Swiss Army watch. either will keep better time than the Rolex. Then again you could get a Rolex and a Canon point & shoot; but the P&S won't take better pictures than the M9. It's about priorities and desires.</p>

<p>Purchased new Submariner in 1979 for $840USD. Still on my wrist every day with no problems and no service. I have a Daytona but don't wear it as I like the Sub much better. I had an Explorer II but didn't like that one either.<br>

Purchased an M3 and 50mm Summicron lens in Mint condition from estate of original owner with et al for $700 in 1985 or so. Don't use it as I upgraded to M6 and then a pair of M7's. M3 probably not worth much more than i paid for it.<br>

Have not purchased M9 yet because the life cycle of digital products is so short, witness the M8 and the bath original purchasers took. May purchase Leica's next M digital but probably only used.<br>

You be the judge as to what you want.-Dick</p>

<p>Neither nor both will take you to a new level. One tells time, the other keeps it and folds it neatly into a photograph. Buy a used M6 and a 35mm Summicron, unless you have one already, and donate the rest to charity. <em>That </em>will take you to a new level. Besides, if you have to ask...</p>

<p>Travis...my humble apologies (plus a humble admission....that I own a Porsche). <br>

But your photographs obviously come from your heart...and I, personally, would hate to see you forego the further potential offered by the M-9. <br>

Hmmm...maybe the Timex/M9 combo isn't such a bad idea!</p>

<p>I buy a $10 watch from Argos every 3 years. That's how long the battery lasts. That's about $30 per decade. I don't care what it looks like although it doesn't have the bling look so many find attractive. I'd rather have the M9. It has to be better than my M8!</p><div>00Xwcz-316149584.jpg.9b1267f7d503c15366ad1f6ae081da70.jpg</div>

<p>If you've posted the same question on a similar Rolex forum, I'd say you haven't decided. If you have NOT, then you have decided and maybe just need us to provide the nudge for you to get the M9.</p>

<p>Nudge.</p>

<p>(But not "nudge, nudge" as that would be too Pythonesque and that's not what I'm going for here although the skit WAS about Photography!)</p>

<p>Say no more.</p>

<p>Enjoy the M9. Too bad it doesn't include a clock on it.</p>

<p>For watches look into timefactors.com out of Britian. They make the UDT commando watch. Excellent quality, probably within 5% of a Rolex or Stowa out of Germany for the Airman look. Both substantially under 1k. In both cases you are buying directly from a company and there is no markup. Save the difference and get the M9.</p>

<p>Honestly, I have a GMT 2 and an M9. I think if I could only have one, it would be the M9, though the GMT is great. To me there are certain things that you can own for free - meaning that regardless of what you pay for them, they tend to hold their value in a way that tracks inflation, and I would put the GMT in this category. And I would also put most Leica glass in this category. I could sell the GMT now for as much as I paid new. It's the only watch I've ever worn that I cannot destroy (physically) with my rather aggressive and rough abuse - I work trackside and am constantly banging it into concrete barriers. The crystal and ceramic bezel cannot be scratched. And the SS can always be polished. I have no doubt that I will always wear this watch as long as I can. And before I had it, I was generally destroying 1 or 2 citizen or seiko types each year, at the cost of a few hundred dollars each. Even destroyed an omega (speedmaster) and a breitling aerospace. So to me, not only can I sell the Rolex for what I paid, it's saving me a few hundred or thousand a year in destroyed watches....<br>

Regarding the longevity of the M9, I think it's a much better proposition than the M8 was. Having said that, I am one of those who bought and struggled with the M8. I owned 2 bodies, sold one quickly and with a small loss, and one recently at a large loss. But I didn't lose any more than I do when I sell my canon bodies. To me, cameras are tools to make money and pictures with, and losing money when replacing them is just a cost of business. Digital camera technology is maturing, and while I think there may be upgrades or a replacement to the M9, the camera pretty much does everything it sets out to do (which could not be said about the m8) and in a good way. There are probably gains to be had in high-iso performance, but otherwise I think the camera really succeeds. But it's still going to be a money loser when the next version hits.<br>

So if you are buying for investment purposes, get the Rolex. But if you need a tool to make photos, get the M9, and offset your losses by buying lots of glass to go with it..... </p>