Rogonon, Compaton-s or Nikolon-w

After reading a lot on enlarging lenses I have Just two single doubts: 1. My Omega 4x5 enlarger has not wall mount, then the space for a 150mm lens is a bit limited and I must work with the colorhead all the way up. Thus, in technical terms, what’s the disadvantage to use a 135mm instead of a 150mm?

2. I have two vintage Schneider Comparon (135 and 150mm) in pristine conditions and make only B+W enlargements, up to 8x10, just as a hobby. Thus, are there any great difference in result between the Comparons and a better lens (componon-s, rodagon, nikkor) or can I consider myself as sufficiently equipped and avoid expend extra money, since I won’t have a paraphernalia of equipment which I don’t need or even know how to use.

P.S – The names Rogonon, Compacton and Nikolon are figurative.

If you 're only making prints up to 8x10 from 4x5 negatives then your current lenses should be fine. The 150 may have slightly better evenness of illumination at the corners than the 135, but it shouldn't be that bad. If you were making 16x20 or larger, then you might see a difference with a better quality lens.

"Thus, in technical terms, what’s the disadvantage to use a 135mm instead of a 150mm?"

- Conventional wisdom is to use an enlarging lens with the same focal length as the diagonal of the negative. That would be 150mm approximately for 5"x4" film.

However conventional 'wisdom' doesn't take into account the lens extension needed for low enlargement ratios. So a 135mm lens will need to be extended by 34mm or so for a 4x enlargement - and this gives an effective focal length of about 169 mm. More than enough to cover 5x4.

A 10x8 is only 2x enlargement and needs over 200mm extension - no issue there.

Working back from 150mm extension; you should be able to enlarge up to just over 6x (24" x 30") without too much problem, apart from needing about 2 metres of column height!

That said. The Comparon isn't the best of lenses, being only a 4 element job. I'm pretty sure you'd see a bit of difference for the better with a Componon or Rodagon. (Not impressed with El-Nikkors personally).

Edited by rodeo_joe|1