Rodeo Photography Equipment

belinda_wenzel

<p>I have been invited to start shooting and selling action photos for the local rodeo circuit.<br>

After reading several of the forums. I have come to the conclusion I need the Canon 7D and Canon 70-200 f2.8 lense, do you agree?. Also, I want to be able to sell the photos on site. What is the best professional printer for this type of work.<br>

I also would like to know what is the best everyday all around lense for the 7D.</p>

<p>Thank you in advance for your help.</p>

<p>Belinda -</p>

<p>Why the Canon? Do you already have Canon gear?</p>

<p>Any newer DSLR will do what you are asking - Nikon D300, D300s, D7000, D700; many of the Pentax models and Sony just to name a few.</p>

<p>The 70-200 f2.8 is a must for shooting indoors / low light - but again - don't lock in on the Canon name - Sigma and Tamron make excellent 3rd party 70-200f2.8's for less than the name brand.</p>

<p>Also - look into getting a smaller zoom - something in the 18-70 or 18-105 range to cover the close up shots. </p>

<p>Another thing to consider is a backup or 2nd body. Doesn't have to be same as your primary but should be similar or from the same manufacturer. When I started I had a d200 backed up by a D70 - then moved up to a D300 backed up by a d200; then D300 backed up by D300; now D700 backed by D300. </p>

<p>Selling and printing on-site adds a level of service to be certain, but it also adds a level of complexity that not everyone sees or thinks through up front. It requires you to have full time staffing at the booth; computers for people to view and order images; and a printer. Now to that add software to manage the images and display so clients can order, software for editing and printing, and oh by the way - now you're printing onsite - so the person running the booth also has to know computers (they can't run to you if there are issues); plus they need to know photoshop or editting printing. Oh and don't forget - A server / network - since you'll only want to download the cards 1 time.</p>

<p>By far the best printers for on-site are the dye sub models - but those come with a hefty ($1,000 +) price tag. Most also limit you to one size print per cartridge - so if someone orders an 8x10 and a 5x7 you have swap out cartridges. Ink jets are slower, but cheaper and easier to swap out cartridges or paper. Sony, epson, and Canon are the brands I'd look at.</p>

<p>Good luck.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>A Canon 7D with the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS would be a great rig for this type of shoot. The 7D has a great AF system and quick 8-fps burst rate. (You'll want to use lots of bursts when the action is peaking). At the 70mm end it'll be great for portraits and general shots. If you have arena access (be careful) you'll get some incredible.</p>

<p>BTW, if you do get on the arena floor you'll need a safety handler to pull you out of the way if things get too hot or close. You may not realize what's going on while you're locked to your viewfinder.</p>

<p>If all this shooting will be outdoors, then the 70-200mm f/4L IS will be plenty fast on the 7D, but indoors you'll want the extra stop. With appropriate processing, the 7D is excellent at ISO from 1600 to 6400.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have been invited to start shooting and selling action photos for the local rodeo circuit.<br />After reading several of the forums. I have come to the conclusion I need the Canon 7D and Canon 70-200 f2.8 lense, do you agree?.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, not necessarily, not without more information.<br>

How far away for the gates will you be positioned?<br>

Will you be shooting at night or in the day?<br>

Will you be inside or outside?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In any case, for this professional engagement, you will require a second camera – and with it you might as well have a zoom lens of different FL compass</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I also would like to know what is the best everyday all around lense for the 7D.</p>

<p>Opinions vary, mine is : EF-S 17 -55F/2.8 IS USM</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>We use strobes for all of our indoor and outdoor equine events. We shoot a lot of cuttings and barrel races, so we typically have 3 Alien Bee 1600's set up. We shoot with a 7D and 70-200 2.8L IS although the Tamron equivelant I've heard isn't bad.</p>

<p>Like David said, on-site selling adds a whole new piece to the puzzle but definitely steps up your sales. People love to see their own photos. Will you be shooting a series, or will it be different rodeo's every time? If it's a series with the same competitors each time, on-site selling will definitely help, but be sure to have plenty of cards directing them to your online proofing as well, and get them up quick :)</p>