Rodenstock apo-sinonar 150 N Vs Apo-sinonar 150S

vincent_lau

Hi!

Relatively new to LF and I learn all the things from this forum.

Thanks for all the efforts to all who make this forum possible.

I learned that the Apo-sinonar ( 150 S) is an excellent lenes, but

how about the apo sinonar 150 N ( 150 N ). I known the main different

is the coverage between these two lenes. It there any one who can

tell the differences, if any, of optical preferomance between these

two lenses. I do landscape >95% of time and I think the coverage for

the 150 N is enough for 4X5.

VIncent Lau

I've never used an 'S' type Sironar, but if you look at Rodenstock's own MTF curves for the two types they don't generally support the idea that the S is sharper than the N except out at the extremities of the circle of coverage (and of course this is larger for the S).

For the focal lengths I have checked (150mm, 240mm, and 360mm) the N versions look to be marginally better from the centre out to maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to the edge. Whether this would make much difference in practice is open to question, though.

I've never used the N, but I bought the S for its large image circle. The price difference was not so great that it made any sense to economize. The lens blows me away with its clarity. I can instantly identify which of my negatives were made with it when I examine them through a loupe. It is, I think, the best lens I own in all formats, although my f/2 Leica Summicron has a similar feel to it.

I only have the 150 S and it is so good that it makes me hesitant to buy any other lenses. I would have to pay much more for something that is not as good. I did consider the N for a brief instant, but the price difference was really very small and one never knows when more coverage is required. Tall trees in a landscape, for example.