Rocky Mt NP

pcg856

<p> Heading to RMNP and Estes Park for 8 days in mid Sept,this will be my first trip there.Looking for best locations to photograph sunrise and sunset .Seeking some basic area's in the parks to shoot some landscapes. Also looking to view an photograph wildlife such as elk ,moose an golden eagles and owls.Will be interested in some short hikes to view scenery and waterfalls that are not strenuous an less then 4 miles round trip since my knees can no long take the pounding. Are the roads in the park crowded at this time of year?Will sept 10-18 be to early for the Aspens to start changing color?<br>

Thanks </p>

<p>Sunrise - Sprague Lake, Bear Lake, Dream Lake, Lilly Lake, Moraine Park<br /> Sunset - Bear Lake, Rock Cut<br /> Wildlife - For elk just look for the crowds typically in Moraine Park, Moose typically on the west side of the park along the Colorado river, not sure about eagles and owls<br /> Waterfalls - Albert Falls, Chasm Falls<br /> Crowds will be present to watch the elk rut, likely a little early for the Aspens.</p>

<p>Chasm Falls is amazing and you stand a good chance of seeing an Ouzel aka American Dipper.</p>

<p>For a short hike with a good chance of seeing some wildlife, have someone drop you off at Lake Irene and head due west by compass and have someone waiting to pick you up down road from Fairview Curve.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Need to consider lungs as well as knees when hiking. If you are coming from sea level, hiking may pose some challenges. At high elevations I think you stand a chance of seeing some color by mid September. I think there is a website that reports on this topic.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>We were there a couple of years ago for a family reunion so many of our activities centered around the kids. But we did take some easy hikes to scenic spots. The hike to Emerald Lake is easy and rewarding at the end, though no waterfall. <br>

For wildlife you can see elk all along Trail Ridge Road, sometimes pretty close up. There are a couple of osprey nests on platforms built for them on the west side of the park before you get to Granby. It's said that moose can be seen in that area as well but we didn't see any. </p>