Rocky Mountain Film Lab - WARNING

DO NOT SEND FILM TO THESE PEOPLE!

I sent 2 rolls of EIR back in April to them, after reading some post

mentioning them as one of the last places to do AR-5 developing.

3 weeks later I emailed them to see if they got my film. No response.

3 weeks after that I emailed again. No response.

a month or so later, I wrote to ask if they were even a lab anymore,

if they ever got emails from me, if they even heard of EIR film. No

response.

Kinda sucks, the shots were one-shot opportunity, some old piles of

mannequin parts next to a river, right across from an old power

station. Shoulda shot some B&W film also, then I'd at leats have some

images from that day. Oh well.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you've had a terrible experience and probably your warning is legitimate. You also will likely never see your slides. BUT, I don't see that you've tried to call them by phone in your post....why not do that, you get someone on the phone, don't let them off until you have a specific name, deadline by which they'll reach you with information, etc. If they can't come through you, at least, deserve reimbursement for your film cost (not insignificant with EIR) and an apology and probably free processing on your next 2 rolls.

I love e-mail, but as a means of conflict/dispute resolution it sucks. A registered delivery confirmation letter to the Owner/manager of the operation with CC to the BBB of the area and the CEO of the BOD (if there is one) are also effective.

I'd start with the phone call and at least find out if and when they got your film, what might have happened to it, did they ship to a wrong address and it got returned and they didn't know what to do with it, did they damage it and just were afraid to contact you? Anyway, once there's a human on the phone something in the way of answers will be forthcoming.

BTW, their phone number is:

303 364 6444

I think Evan is right on. There is a great dividing line when it comes to the Internet...Many over 50-55 years of age may never get on a computer, let alone learn all that it has to offer.

Not because they don't want to, but because someone has to teach them.

Many people in the film processing world grew up without on-line computers, and they may not have incoporated it into their daily routine as effectively as their younger peers.

And don't be too hard on them, these are the same people that invested more money starting their businesses back in the 70's and 80's, before the internet existed, then you may spend on computers in your entire lifetime.

There's no excuse for not answering a customer's e-mail. I don't care whether the business owner is computer illiterate or not. If he isn't going to answer e-mail, he shouldn't have published the e-mail address. That's like putting an ad in the yellow pages of the phone book, but never answering the phone.

Bob, Alex, Evan - I'll grant that. I COULD call them, I just figured I might start yelling at people, and I don't need to do that. I really do have way more images than I can scan & or print anyway. I would like those images, though.

I don't think they have any excuse, because they put up a website and it's not one that looks hastily done. The DR5 lab doesn't always respond right away, but they DO respond to email - I like them, they do good work.

If the films were mine, I would definitely phone them. Ever consider the possibility that they never even received your film in the first place? How did you send it?

There are many, many companies out there that have a 'web presence' but absolutely do not 'get' the internet (including email), and do a terrible job of managing transactions and handling customers <cough>. Or they farm the job out to the cheapest bidders who don't give a rats ass about properly servicing their customers' customers.

Give them a call, ask if they received your film and if so, what stage is it at? If they screwed it up at the very least they should send replacement rolls, and throw in free processing.

If they say they never received it, you are SOL. But if you don't call them you are definitely SOL, and you will never know who exactly is to blame: you, the courier, or them.

Ok RADAR you've had plenty of time to call them since you got the number here. Have you? What did they say? If you haven't then I guess it's just not that important.

I think if the shots were that important to me I would have called them before I sent the rolls, just to make sure they still do the work and what it would cost me.

While I have not lost any film, I did have the same experiences with regards to RMFL not answering emails. I agree that there is no excuse to not answer emails as it is bullcrap to expect people tp spend even more money in the form of long distance charges. I wanted to ask them things like current turnaround times with TechPan and Konica and Kodak B&W infrared films. Nothing... Oh well fools, you JUST lost a lot of business. I went to Images Photo, a black and white only lab, out of Tucson, AZ and have been really satisfied. They can print TechPan and IR films FAR BETTER than even RMFL ever could...and for less! I also use them now for standard B&W develop and print work. RMFL lost the ability to get about 100 dollars a month in business from me. All that because some fool was too lazy to send out a 3-5 minute email.

That is too bad as RMFL was just awesome about 12+ years ago. Being able to have them mix a batch of Microdol for several rolls of PanF or Plus-X was awesome. And their Exhibition weight fiber base enlargements just were gorgeous. That's ok as Images Photo does the same level of work with better prices.

RADAR, did you need the critical coloration of EIR exposed at ISO 100 and developed using the AR5 process? If not, you are aware that you can expose EIR at ISO 200 and use the common E6 process, albeit at the expense of higher saturation and contrast? Not trying to be patronizing. Just curious about it though.

• 4 years later...
NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND FILM TO THis company!!! I sent two rolls of ECN II film to them on 5/18/06 and they still haven't processed it as of 12/17/07 (19 Months). I've had numerous phone conversations with them...and I always get... we've had machine problems; it'll be done in the next two months; or it's set to run in our next run!!! Don't send anything to these people unless you want your film to disappear. I've requested that they return my film to me...which they reluctantly agreed to, after stating they were the only ones in the world who could develop it, and if that was my decision! Secondly, they stated it would take two weeks to "Pull" my film? I will be filing a complaint with the Denver Better Business Bureau. However, I after the fact, have discovered that they already have an "UNSATISFACTORY RECORD" with the BBB. Beware, always check the local BBB before doing business with a company. WHAT A LEARNING EXPERIENCE!

• 2 months later...
I have had the same problem as Harry Johnson. We sent our film almost 1 year ago, have talked to this bonehead girl named Lalena several times on the phone. She keeps giving me excuses like "we've had machine problems" or "it hasn't been a year yet" etc etc bla bla bla. Looks like my company may be looking at legal action against these guys.

• 1 month later...

Same experience as Harry and John. After my Dad died, I found a roll of simple 620 film in his old camera. Since I didn't know how long it had been in there, I wanted specially-skilled processing to be sure that I got the images. I sent it to RMFL on Feb 2007 - no one-hour WalMart processing for me! So far, no results.

Do I know that they received my film? Yup. My check was attached to it, and they cashed the check in less than a week.

Did I email? Yup, about 4 months after I sent my film. No response.

Did I telephone? Yup, six months after I sent my film. I didn't get the "broken machine" story, I got the "batch processing" story. "We process film in batches, when we get enough of a given type, and the 620 batch hasn't come up yet." The bone-headed girl (to quote an earlier post) guaranteed it would come up within 3 more months.

Did I telphone again? Yup, a year after I sent my film and three months after the guaranteed "batch processing" date. Same response - your batch hasn't come up yet.

I filed a complaint with Denver BBB today. Unfortunately, even if I get my $32.50 back, I will probably never see my film again. And like most old film, the images are irreplacable since most of the people are dead and gone.

Bill

• 1 month later...
In some small defense of RMFL and perhaps some comfort to customers who feel that they will never receive their film back, I do think that one day your films will eventually arrive back in your hands. RMFL is a very lucrative business and have a referral network that our company (Film Rescue) could only dream of. I don't see them falling off the map anytime soon.

• 2 months later...
I also sent this company an old East German ORWO film (yeah, that old, the country doesn't exist anymore). This was more than a year ago, in May 2007. They cashed my check right away, but I still haven't got my prints back. I've called them and this girl confirmed they got the film, and that it would probably be ready by the spring 2008. To this day still nothing. I had three films; luckily I only sent one because I had my doubts. Hopefully some day, when I’m old, my prints will arrive; but by that time my memory will probably be gone…

I stopped by their place one day. Small foyer packed with many big boxes of exposed film. I'm assuming they were separated by process, some boxes full others only had a couple of rolls. Looked like a lot of volume for a very small facility.

• 2 weeks later...
These people are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! They charged my credit card UPON RECEIPT of my EIR film over one year ago and I haven't received the processed film or the prints. Spoke with this Lalaina many, many times and I cannot even get my film BACK, or the charge reversed. I am now in contact with my credit card company and the BBB to register complaints. I wish I'd read this thread way back when. Meanwhile, even if they ARE the last place on earth, save your money, frustration and time and do NOT send film to these people.

Going on 14 months for me, same story "equipment problems". Oh but they cashed my check within 4 days of receiving it. Accounting dept doesn't have any problems apparently. Also no response ever to email which is funny considering that is the 1st option they tell you to use in their "contact us" section of website. The last 3 times I called I got the same story that it will be processed in the next month, delay is due to equipment/parts, etc. If anyone has had any success getting something back from this company I'd love to hear it. Just as a reassurance that they haven't just taken my money. I'll post if I get mine back next month like they tell me.

• 1 month later...

I checked around and this was the only place to develop old film.

I sent some old film to them. registered mail. I was told i could pay for it later.

I kept calling to check on it. I was told it would be 12 months before it showed in their system.

I called 14 months later. They still could not find it and the lady was suppose to call me back.

I called 12 months later. Still lost and then they said it would not show up unless i paid for it

and it would take 12 more months. I paid for it over the phone.

I called 12 months later. Still lost and the payment was not posted to the film.

Now it has been so long i can't remember the name. rockymountain phot.

I finally remembered the name and insisted on finding my film. Still lost.

The secretary called me back and she had found the film on the lady's desk that is suppose to be in charge. I guess it had been sitting there for 3 years waiting for payment.

I insisted she send the film to me immediately unprocessed.

She said she did not know when he would have deliveries going to post office.

i waited another 3 days for them to mail it.

Happy ending was i got my film back.

i found a place to develop rapidfilm.net some films they only develop black and white.

I sent it to them and paid 10 dollars extra and received my film within 3 weeks

The word is rocky mountain lost the Kodak account and it is only a matter of time before they go out of business. These people are a bunch of idiots and i would get my film out of there asap or never see it again. This is not fair the way they do business because my old film is very important to me.

sincerely

joe

• 4 weeks later...
SURPRISE!!! After I spoke to Leah or Lalaina or whomever, and explained to them that this was actually THEFT, taking my money and never providing a service.... that their business expense is not something one has to pay for ahead of time. Referrred them to this forum, and also told her that I would further contribute to the BBB negative rating, get my credit card company involved and perhaps pursue a theft charge... That day I got a credit to my account and 4 days later received my film back. Amazing. Of course, she hung up on me and chastised me for being "rude", stating I really had no valid complaint. I asked to speak to the owner/manager and she said he'd call me back. All I ever got was a return call from her that day telling me I'd had a credit to my account and would receive my film shortly. Good enough for me! After 9 months of being stalled by them! Never, never, never send them your business. Wish I'd read the blogs before I did.

• 3 weeks later...

Rocky Mountain is a sleeping giant.

If you call them the secretary will tell you, Lalaina will call you on friday. Never calls.

She must show up one friday a month which would be fine if she returned her emails and phone calls.

Has anyone received their film back since 2003? I would like to hear from any positive story.

I found a place to develop. RapidPhoto.Net I payed 10.00 extra for express and got my film back 3 weeks later.

Some old film they only develop black and white which was the case with mine but i was a happy camper.

This was a welcomed relief after my film was held hostage at rocky mountain for 3 years.

I am not associated with rapidphoto.net but i am doing this as a public service.

rocky mountain, get it together and start developing or return film.

I was told from rocky mountain they have a whole room of developed film that was not paid for.

Probable half the people are dead they waited so many years for development.

i would be interested in purchasing all this old film for development costs.

Sincerely

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>I can't believe there are so many stories like mine! I was actually looking for a place that I could write a bad review about this place and run across this. If anyone is researching and trying to decide to send their film to these people, PLEASE search harder for another alternative. I have been waiting for over a year (like many others) for my film to be developed. I sent many negatives to Rocky Mountain Film Lab in October 2007. After 3 months I called and they said they would contact me for payment. 3 months later I called again and they said they would contact me... you get the idea. Finally, 8 months later they called (progress!) and billed my credit card. 3 months later, I call to check on status....still priniting (whatever). Called again, and again, and again...... Either the "manager" is out of the office and doesn't return my phone call, or they are having equipment trouble, or the manager is "checking" on my order and will call me back (never calls back by the way)... you get the idea. I finally decided to call <strong>every</strong> day and talk to the manager until I get my film shipped. This has been going on for about 21/2 weeks now and is getting kind-of fun for me (ha ha). They have to be getting sick of me calling! Anyway, I called them today and she said it was in the pile of envelopes they mailed out yesterday. We'll see. I will give them a break for about 3 days to see if it comes in the mail and if it doesn't, I'll start bugging them again. I'll let everyone know if and when they do come in.<br>

The only advice I can give to those individuals that have already sent film to Rocky Mountain Film Lab and keep getting the run around, Call and bug the crap out of them (make sure you talk to the manager) (303) 364-6444. They will eventually get sick of your phone calls and do their job :)</p>

<p>an update - I continued to bug the crap out of Leah or Lalaina or whomever. She kept saying she was checking in to it and would call me back as soon as she found out something. Guess what... she actually called this time. She informed me of the status of my prints, told me they would be mailed out on Friday (because of the holiday - New Year's). <strong>I have the prints & neg. in hand! I can't believe it!</strong><br>

I still would <strong>not</strong> recommend this place! It takes <strong>forever </strong>to get your stuff - they have got to be way understaffed or just very unorganized!<br>

Those of you who are still waiting - It looks like you need to use the phone (not email) and keep calling them! Squeaky wheels get oiled first. Good luck.</p>