ROBUST dSLR recommendation for a 6 year old ??

WM

<p>Hello folks, <br>

OK, you may think I am nuts, but my little boy likes to shoot photos.........maybe my influence. The thing is that he does not want to use my wife's Canon s95 Point and Shoot, because he can't look through the viewfinder, and he loves using my Nikon D700 & 24-120/4 VRII lens. <br>

The latter is of course bigger than his head, and is incredibly heavy for a little boy......plus if he drops it, dad will be out of pocket a lot of dollars ! <br>

Can someone recommend an inexpensive and robust dSLR for a 6 year old boy who loves to shoot an SLR ? <br>

(Note that ROBUST is very important, given the uncoordinated hands of little kids !)<br>

Thanks for your recommendations......and no, I am NOT getting him the new Nikon D4 or the Leica M9 :)<br>

Cheers, <br>

wm</p>

<p>I think it unlikely that such a digital SLR exists. You may have luck with something like the Olympus Tough series. Maybe one of those, or a similar camera, has an eye-level finder. There may be an alternative. I have seen pictures of a hood that can be attached over the LCD. It has optics built in and in effect becomes an eye-level finder; but I can give no details.</p>

<p>If I'd be in your shoes I'd love to give my son a D40 with the risk to have it destroyed. When my son was 6yrs old was quite protective with the toys he loved most... so there is a good chance to not happen anything wrong with the camera. Actually my son is 20 and still not interested for photography :( even though I am eager to share with him my equipment.</p>

<p>The risk here is that if your son will become passionate for photography in a couple of years he will ask Santa for a D4 :)</p>

<p>What will you do when he likes driving your Ferrari? I applaud your intentions; my daughter much prefers my wife's D40 to the Coolpix, quite understandably so. If the damage can be limited to expanding your son's photographic horizons so much the better, but it is a slippery slope.</p>

<p>My son when 5 years old asked for my D700 every week-end, when we were out, which I for obvious reasons did not allow. Then by chance I found a D70 second at USD 175, which I bought and I had a 50mm f/1.8, so now he is a very happy boy. I made a little work on the strap, so it will not drop to the floor/street in case he loose his concentration.</p>

<p>You might want to consider a used Panasonic DMC-FZ5. It was small, performed rather well except for low light (it isn't your D700, after all), had an (electronic) viewfinder, and looked like a serious camera. At the current prices at a place like KEH.com, you could buy two, for when your son breaks the first one. There is a review of it here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/ The Panasonic DMC-FZ20 was similar but significantly larger, so you probably don't want it.</p>

<p>My 9-year old loves to take photos and videos with a little Olympus point-and-shoot digital I don't use anymore.</p>

<p>He's been playing with it for about a year or more (but he knows it's MY camera...)</p>

<p>He's tough on everything, but there is not a SCRATCH on this camera. I'm so proud...</p>

<p>It can be done, but 6 is AWFUL young for a DSLR.</p>

<p>I'd go with a D40 or like ... with the kit lens. Part of the craft is respect for, and successful use of the equipment ... you indicate that he kinda does that with other things ... give him something like the D40kit, and with supervision and oversight, let him start climbing the ladder. Watch out for the images ... what does one 'see' at 6-10 or so? The possibilities loom large and interesting ...eh?</p>

<p>Two of our grandsons want to hold & shoot the cameras everytime we are around them. I expect that we'll have the same problem soon with them wanting something of their own, and I'd like to be able to help them. I've looked at some very used Canon Rebels, with a kit lens and a good strap and I think that could work - we all know they'll likely get trashed somewhere along the way, but that is part of the learning process too.</p>

<p>I let my Grandniece's and Grandchildren use my cameras under supervision, but I always insist they have the strap around their neck. Even my twenty something sons have trouble realizing what they are holding in their hands, and fumble their cameras around and drop them. They have their own cameras and I don't loan mine out. You should probably watch <a href="
video to see how robust these cameras actually are. I think a Canon Rebel XT or Xsi would be great for a child. They should be relatively cheap now. I gave my Xsi to my Grandniece when I bought a 7D, she is thirteen and loves taking pictures. I will be giving her lessons soon which I look forward to.</p>

<p>I agree with a D40 or older Rebel with the kit lens. Lower weight, the size is manageable, and if he destroys it, so be it. At his age, my father let me use a Leica IIIf under his supervision, but my everyday camera was a Brownie of some sort. </p>

<p>I started off with a eos 300d, went to a 30d and then on to a 7d and still have them all. My 3 year old has been photographed since day 1 and loves to help me take photos. so a little while ago I gave her the 300d and she uses it when she pleases, but mustn't run with it and wear the strap. it has taken a few dings, but as i don't care if it dies I don't mind. If it does get destroyed i'll be lookin for old and 2nd hand - the optics and functions really don't matter at this stage (I'm just hoping it generates a lasting interest)</p>