Ring Road new structures, Bangalore

<p>These are pictures shot in the Southwest Bangalore on and around the Ring Road. the Ring Road is an archaic form of the modern by-pass highway. Strangely, early plan makers [here] were influenced by the European Towns like Vienna and the Ringstrasse`. They were good for the horse and buggy age and centralized small towns. Most unsuitable for the automobile age. So this is a hybrid with all its problems.<br>

I used Konica color 100 film on my Praktica MTL3 with the Pentacon 50mm lens. The so-called orange mask in the film seems to make the green quite dark in B&W scans. Here are some samples. Is there any way to get over the orange mask effects. I am planning to develop my next roll at home in B&W chemistry. I shall appreciate any tips on that process. Thanks.</p><div>00TiYK-146521584.jpg.c11dc3443023b71c3f4e19fb764e00e1.jpg</div>

<p>Subbarayan, those are nice documents and images. I look forward to your posts and narrative. I spent a few days in Delhi in 2004 and was amazed at the crazy traffic and the pace of it all.<br>

<br /> As for scanning, I'm not sure of what your current procedure is. When I take photos in C-41 color negs and want to get a B&W result, I get best results by scanning first as a color image. This takes care of the orange mask.<br>

After that, you can desaturate the color image, or -if you want- correct levels differentially in the color image for R, G and B channels before desaturating, to get an effect similar to using filters in B&W.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>get best results by scanning first as a color image. This takes care of the orange mask.<br />After that, you can desaturate the color image, or -if you want- correct levels differentially in the color image for R, G and B channels before desaturating, to get an effect similar to using filters in B&W.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Quite right,Julio. Let me add...<strong>DON'T DESATURATE YOUR COLOR IMAGES TO GET A B&W IMAGE!</strong> Think "conversion" not "desaturation". Always<strong> </strong>use R,G,B channels in Photoshop or other software tools that controls the individual color channels. That will provide the best conversion and give you ultimate control. As a a bonus, you no longer need to carry around color contrast filters in your kit. The UV and Polarizer are still quite useful however.<br>

Tech note: Even in Photoshhop, if you don't want to fool around with channels, it's better to "convert to greyscale" than to simply desaturate. The "convert to greyscale" command is "smart" and will give you a decent conversion based on the colors and tones in the original image. Desaturate is "dumb". Sometimes it works OK but most times the results are muddy. <br>

Nice series of shots, SP</p>

<p>SP, Luis is right, I should have written "conversion to greyscale" which is what I actually do, not "desaturation"...<br>

If you are going to develop at home, choose a silver-based B&W film such as Ilford FP4+ - don't try with C-41 films. Which film and developer can you get there?</p>

<p>Also agree, the best B&W comes from a color scan. If you have Photoshop CS3 or later, there is a lovely combined B&W conversion where you can do all the color channels from the same control panel and see what works best. It's Image>Adjustments>B&W.<br>

Nice shots.</p><div>00Tigh-146601584.jpg.ce31916aec9b7eb5b8a0417287f3bd8d.jpg</div>

<p>SP, I don't know what software you are using but here is a chart that gives the Photoshop R,G,B channel mixer setting when converting color film to B&W that match the spectral properties of various traditional B&W films. Perhaps you may find it useful. Of ten I use these as is or as a starting point for more extreme tonal separation.</p><div>00Tivb-146753584.jpg.7dff67300d297054ee2025af50d8db55.jpg</div>