Ring flash

robert_buckley1

I have a NIKON SB-21 from the *bay that works fine in manual mode. It looks like a ring flash, but it has 2 strobes which you can swith left, right, or both. Typically it fits a 62mm threads, but a 72mm attachment is available. I don't think it works in iTTL, but the newer version is a lot more money.

The SB21 will work fine in manual mode. No iTTL with DSLR. You do limited to 3 power setting (Full, 1/4, 1/16). I suppose technically you get 6 if you include turning off the left or right blank as a power control.

Your other alternative is get a old used ring flash that support the thyristor auto mode. Which is a liitle bit of a pain to use with Macro. But instant checking with digital helps.

Do consider the R1 kit or even better the R1C1 kit, if you can afford it - you won't regret it.

Even though you don't absolutely need the SU800 (which comes with the R1C1 kit) it does make it all so much easier/quicker to use and is far cheaper than getting the SU800 as a stand alone item later on.

Failing that I would just get an SB600, which you can use either with a cord or cordless off camera, and will also of course cover all the 'standard' flash usage as well.

I think that the LED ring light referred to from B&H is the Digislave model. Be sure to get the one that is large enough for the lens on a dSLR.

Be aware that the ring LED units have much lower power than flash ones. I tried to start a thread on this some time ago and got only a few responses, but those were not very positive about the usefulness of some of the cheaper LED units.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...