Ring Flash for Portrait Photography?

sabrina_h.

I've seen two documentary programs where the photographer used a macro ring flash for

portraits on his camera. One documentary was of a photographer, the other was not; just

happened to be in the story.

I'm curious and a little baffled as to why they do this. Have you done this before?

A ring light gives a certain look, the subect seems flatly lit yet pops out from the

background. If you want any modelling at all, you will need some strong makeup on

the model, or possibly somebody with very distinctlively strong features. Fashion

photographers in the 50's like Clifford Coffin used the ring light.

Photographers who use ring lights use the type that's much larger than a macro light. It's usually used as a main light shot straight on. Just like the macro with the lens through the hole in the center. It's used in fashion on models who have don't have many flaws and look good with that type of flat lighting. Jeff's right too, they use heavy makeup. It also creates nice circular catch lights in the eyes.

What you saw must have been someone using a generally non standard approach.

Sabrina-

I like to break "rules"...I shoot a Canon EOS 1D Mk II with a 85/1.8 or a 50/1.4 and the Canon MR-14 ringflash for fashion work. The flash is designed for macro work but it is worth consideration for portrait or fashion work too. I like it because it is part of the Canon system. I can shoot ETTL, compensate, etc with ease and get very good results. Because of the size of the ring (small for portrait application), it is important to use reflectors ( natural like white walls, concrete, etc or artificial/manufactured like a disc). The only issue I have had is occasional red eye. I suspect this is an angle/physics issue but I need to do more research. Right now I correct it in PSCS. Any thoughts from anyone on what might be the cause of the red eye or strategies for eliminating it?

Thanks. AL