Ring flash effect from a hotlight...

critter

You could conceivably place an angled mirror with a lens hole in front of the lens and bounce a light off that for the same effect. Preferably you would want to use a focused spot and flag everything to keep extraneous light from hitting the subject.

sounds like a setup for a nude photographer, or you'll need to crank up the ac... t <p>Hey, maybe florescents? not very bright, but they won't raise a blister if you bump them. Those florescent "stick" lights are pretty cheep, maybe bolt a bunch to a sheet of plywood painted white clamped to a couple of beefy stands? You'd be fairly immobile... And you could cover them with gels since their cool to the touch and get whatever color light you need. Do a web search for Kino Flos or check out Lowel's website (I don't have the address, sorry) I know they have a huge selection of florescent lighting ... t<p> I'll bet you could get four of those 4 lamp fixtures (48" or 36" bulbs} used somewhere like at a retail fixtures store or new at Home Depot and figure something out. That's my best bet. GE makes a lamp called the Chroma 50 that's pretty close to 5500 K... t

Yes, I've seen it done with those circular fluorescent tubes (mounted on a plywood

disc, with a hole in the middle for the lens - the whole rig is supported by a tripod).

The simplest way to emulate ringflash a (in a portrait/fashion context) is to use a

small shoot-through brolly pressed up against the back of the camera. Of course this

makes is awkward to frame, focus etc... A waistlevel viewfinder helps.