Right to not be photographed in public?

I read this story about an incident in America. It was from an article called "News of the

Weird," but I believe it is true, as it cites a legitimate newspaper:

"In January, Judge Peter Garcia, driving relatives to his courthouse at noon in Covington,

La., noticed an odd sight directly across the street in the municipal cemetery: Two women

in pink lingerie, holding S&M accessories, were posing for a professional photo shoot

among the gravestones. Garcia grabbed his camera to take his own souvenir photo, which

apparently angered one of the women, who pursued Garcia back to his car, lecturing the

unknown-to-her judge about various "rights" she thought she had not to be

photographed. When Garcia ignored her, she began to thrash the judge's car with her whip

before he finally drove away. [Times-Picayune, 1-24-04]"

It is an interesting event. I do a ot of street photography in Japan, and I have never been

whipped, even by strange people. Do others have similar stories about taking pictures in

public?

Once in Beverly Hills, CA i wasa trying to take a pic of a general public area with my N90s and 50 on a tripod. Suddenly a very well dressed butler appeared and announced that "professional" pics could not be taken from that property, while tourists with Point and Shoots were snapping away merrily.

<p>When i told him, i was not a professional, he said my camera was and that made me a pro :))

<p>Anyways, i pointed to a bus stop 2 feet away which was City of Los Angeles property. I moved my camera to that spot and shot merrily, while he just watched..., loved his expression, when i reminded that my second position was owned by City of LA..

Yeah, just as the right to free speech allows someone to stand in the street outside a Hell's Angels clubhouse yelling "only pinheads ride Harley's" you should be able to take photographs of strangers in public...and with the same result.

My reading of the original event is that: it was a professional shoot and thereby subject to copyright protection. Anyone shooting a set that I arrange gets pretty short measure. My intellectual property is invested in the acquiring, arranging, lighting, etc of a subject. The judge would be in breach of all that.

<<<My reading of the original event is that: it was a professional shoot and thereby subject to copyright protection. Anyone shooting a set that I arrange gets pretty short measure. My intellectual property is invested in the acquiring, arranging, lighting, etc of a subject. The judge would be in breach of all that.>>>

This is an inaccurate statement of the law. The judge is not in breach of anything.

Maybe a can of mace or pepper spray should be the next accesory added to our camera bag? If that is unacceptable to the rowdies, my next choice would be my PPK/S for which I have a carry permit. Nice German workmanship, outstanding form, fit, and function - goes well with any Leica screwmount - in fact, I would consider it to be my Leica screwthem.

Of course, fistfights and PPK's. Maybe Jay could hit James in the jaw for taking his picture and then James could shoot Jay. Presumably that would typify the American way of life - just hope Jeff would be around to take a picture of it (wearing a vest and football helmet).