Right-Angle Viewfinder for ist DL & K10D

guy_gervais

Greetings,

I'm looking around for a good Right-Angle Viewfinder for my ist DL & K10D.

There's the Chinese Seagull model (quality?), the Olympus VA-1 VariMagni

apparently would fit certain Pentax models.

I saw the Pentax one on B&H but $384. (too much $$$)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Guy

I have Fotodiox viewfinder, which I believe is the same rebranded Seagull. I like the price ($40), while optical quality is poor; viewfinder significantly reduces sharpness, which is critical for manual focusing. As result even with x2 magnification focusing is less convenient then without viewfinder. May be it is only my exemplar problem, but anyway - be warned.

Oh, the build on the Oly is great. no loose parts, nothing rattles.

I heard the Seagull/Adorama/Photodiox, needed adapters and wasn't really well built. I was all set to go the Seegull route till i found out about the Oly.

I saw on another forum that soneone said the camera diopter when using the Oly had to be adjusted. Not true. leave the diopter whereever it was, and then turn the ribbed focus ring on the Oly Varimagni. Now both your diopter on the camera and the Oly are synced.

You should, they typically sell for $30. I'd put a max bid in of $40 if you really want it, but not more. I've seen them go for as little as $25.

Mine was ~$40 shipped, and I think I paid a bit too much based on some of the sale prices previously and in my "watched items". That said, I'm sure it will last me many years, and the extra $5 i spent won't matter a whole lot vs. the $350 i saved on the Pentax.

I'm not that familiar with the K10D so I'm going out on a limb here. I'm assuming that you were looking at the Refconverter A? If so, then the earlier model 'M' can still fit. You might get lucky and find one listed through Ebay, but if you're interested in getting an OEM piece of equipment I do have one that I'd be willing to part with.

Now, if I'm violating some rules about posting 'sales' through this link I apologize. Otherwise contact me and we can discuss this, if you're interested, I can fill you in with any details and if you want you can find a PDF manual on Pentax's website that will also describe the Refconverter 'M's operation as well.

Best of luck regardless in finding the one you want.

Ed

I too have been looking for a R.A. Viewfinder for my K100D, but have discovered that Pentax do not make one. The earlier pre-digital cameras eg K1000 were provided for, and I have one of those. The istD was also catered for but the K10,K100 and subsequent,are not. If you look at a istD you will see that the eyepiece has the necessary grooves to take the R.A. metal frame. They are absent on the new K series.

I have ordered the Seagull because it specifically claims to be able to fit, but now(after ordering)suspect it won't,-- we shall see. In which case does anyone have any suggestions other than duct tape ?

In response to Ken Oakes, double check in your manual first. I had a look at the K10D manual and it states that the Refconverter A fits over the viewer (and by default, so should the Refconverter M), but check the manual of the K100D under the 'Optional Accessories' section. The one you're probably refering to is the original Refconverter and/or Refconverter II, which fit the earlier film cameras like the K series and such.

If in doubt, contact Pentax USA via their website and ask them for more info.

Ed

I already have. Pentax US confirmed to me after me insisting that they provide an explicit answer, that there is no right angle finder for the K series digitals. istDs and older models yes. The illustrations for the Seagull shows a variety of adapters, but there are no grooves for the shoe to slide into, so unless the adapter just pushes into the rubber eyepiece,which would hardly be secure, its Bostik or duct tape as far as I can see.

Hello again Ken:

If you have the original manual, on page 192 of the K100D manual (pg 193 of the K100D Super) under'For Viewfinder' it lists the Refconverter A as an option. If you don't have the manual it's available from the Pentax US site under their 'Customer Care' tab, then manuals, then search from there.

Regardless, the Refconverter A and M are right angle viewers, both come with the ability of 1x and 2x view magnification. They both have the 'grooves' needed to fit onto the viewfinder on the cameras. I can't speak for any other aftermarket R.A. viewers. And no, I wouldn't recommend ductape..... ;)

Both the above mentioned viewers come up periodically on Ebay, but be sure of what you're bidding on, the older models simply won't work. Apparently the Refconverter A is still available at B&H on special order but as pointed out by the original poster, it's pricey. And the only difference between the 'A' & 'M' models is the size of the plate through which you view through, the former has a larger window to see the LCD in the SuperProgram film camera, the 'M' doesn't but still works the same otherwise.

If you're still looking for info, again go to the Pentax US site, and look up the 'Refconverter, Refconverter II,Refconverter M' PDF manual. They're not great copies but they're good enough to get the point across.

Ed

Attn Ed.

I was being flippant when I suggested Bostik or duct tape. I have the plain cooking model, IE Ref converter, with a reversed L-R image. Contrary to the info supplied in the PDF manual, it does work with my ES11 and a K1000. It did not work with the MX because the depth of the grooves in the view finder was greater than the blades of the finder. Since I only use it occasionally and I also have a magnifier, it was a better proposition to CAREFULLY increase the depth of the slots on the camera.This I did successfully. Should the Seagull fit the K100D then there will be no problem , but if not, then the same solution will be adopted for the 100. I also have a Canon right way round finder for the F1, which has the same size frame ( as Pentax call it )and so I am reluctant to part with more cash for an item that has only occasional usage. Thanks for the ref tho.

Ken Oakes

I have now received the Seagull. Notice of shipping was sent on the 14th Feb.,I received it on the 20th, and it arrived complete with adapters for several other cameras.It looks very well made, and it does all that is required,-- good value.The image is clean and sharp. Using 1:1, the Seagull's dioptre adjustment is adequate, but at 2:1, a touch of the camera adjustment is required.

Caveat emptor: The price I paid, including shipping was about half the price several other would be suppliers were asking for the identical product, -- so shop around.

And caveat yet again . I joined Photonet only last week. Two days later I Googled my name as a check, and found it was there. Furthermore I was quoted verbatim ( see above ) so I was glad that for once in my life I was quietly polite. Beware of Big brother !!