Riding a Steam Train with a CMC - a few shots

<p>Dear All,<br /><br />I thought that I'd like to share a few steam train pictures - I have a feeling that it will resonate with quite a few people in here :-) I am - by no means - a railroad buff, but back in October, we had the opportunity to take a two-hour trip, passing through Copenhagen Central station on the way. And we thought that it could be a nice experience for the kids :-)<br /><br />The train was a Breda from Milan, Italy, 1898, so I figured that I wouldn't have a contemporary camera anyway and opted for the 1969 Nikon F and a 24/2.8. Turns out, the train and carriages were actually still in service in 1938, when my Leica IIIa was made... Anyway, it was nice to enjoy the luxury of TTL metering, even though we only rode Third Class :-)<br /><br />First off, here's the train - obviously, the staff wore workwear and scarves to match.</p><div>00cI1z-544697684.jpg.6b77e6c13df73030f5d74079039cd99e.jpg</div>

<p>First, when I had a look on your images, I had a funny feeling. Lots of black and the images is very nice, excellent tone and I thought, something wrong with the tone. To good. Couldn't figure out why, then I read your lines about this trip. Then I understand what is wrong with the image, why it is so good. FILM. It is on FILM and so different for our eyes, we get used to the digital images. You did an excellent job, composition, exposures, and you put a story in to those images very nicely. Thank you to sharing with us.<br>

I decided to load a roll of ILFORD PLUS 400, get out of the fridge, to one of my Nikon F and heeding out to shoot some real photography.</p>

<p>Another set of lovely images Soeren. Thank you for sharing with us. I have the AF-D version of the 24/2.8, which has long been a favorite of mine. I recently added a pair of rabbit ears from a junk lens so that I can use it with my F and other Non-AI bodies. Not quite as visually appealing as a chrome-nosed version when mounted on a chrome F, but it should get the job done just fine. </p>

<p>Lovely work with an all-time classic camera.</p>

<p>I've been hoping to get out, but with winds at high speed and nearly -20 degrees C here, it's not such a great idea. So I shall live vicariously through your shots for a few days longer.</p>

<p>I've become entranced with my Ilford chromogenic, but it looks like I need to try the Kodak too.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys :-)<br /><br />I really enjoy working with the "F" - an excercise in simplicity. My 24 mm is quite early, with a scalloped barrel. I also brought a 50, but found the 24 perfect for the relatively cramped spaces, so I ended up using that exclusively.<br /><br />Yes, that Kodak film is really nice - I really hope that it will live on in the future version of Kodak.<br /><br />And, to anyone else from Denmark (Hi, Jacques :-): We started at Hellerup station, rode south to Hundige and all the way back. Incidentally, we were using the "S-train" tracks (an overground commuter line) and stopped at a few stations along the way, even picking up a few passengers going to Copenhagen Central who had expected to take the regular, electric train. Fun :-)<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Soeren</p>

<p>Nice. I am a train fan and like to shoot the vintage trains with cameras made in that era. Mostly I use either a Watson & Son plate camera or a 1928 Bergheil. I don't have anything as new as your Nikon. ;-)</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>