Ricohflex Dia L Self Timer Issue

frankt

Hello all,

I got a Ricohflex Dia L with SEIKOSHA MXL shutter, and it seems to be in very good condition. I can change shutter speed, aperture, open/close the cover and view finder, etc. I can cock and fire the shutter at various speeds too.

However, whenever I cock the lever, there is a noise which seems to be from the self timer. I have tried the following without any success.

1. Try switching between M-F-X modes.

2. Try to turn on the little self timer switch and off again. The switch seems to have no resistance and kind of move loosely. I think it may be the root cause.

Even after the shutter is fired, it will keep making the winding noise for about 2 mins and stop (coking lever will tick once).

You can see it in the video here.

Is there anything else I can try? If I keep using it (ignoring this self timer noise), will it damage the shutter?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hear some advice.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Mike. I will avoid switching to M from now on then. I am totally new to film and TLRs.

So of the two settings, should I use F or X? Or it doesn't matter? I didn't see much info in the manual other than that they are related to flash sync.

Thanks and noted Bill.

As for the issue with winding noise, I tried to put a few tiny drops of alcohol with a toothpick in to where the levers are, and that seems to fix it. However, I think the mechnical parts need a bit of clean and lube.

Any advice on properly and safely DIY is appreciated. :)