Ricoh GXR / M-mount experience?

tim_bradshaw1

<p>Hi, I am thinking of getting one of these as a digital back for my M-mount lenses (all 50mm or shorter). I realise it's not an M8 or M9 but I can't afford those, and in any case I am not planning on using a digital camera as my main platform. The reviews look pretty positive, and I have a GR2 which I like well enough. Does anyone who has one of these have any comments?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>--tim</p>

<p>Tim, I agree with the others about the M8, especially if its ability to incite more thoughtful photography and taking control of the image making parameters is of interest to you, perhaps as well as the particular attraction of rangefinder photography. A local (non-Leica) professional photographer has mentioned to me a software he uses that extends the range of definition of his Canon 5D camera and I will certainly take up on his offer to verify its capacity in terms of extending the capability of my M8. But even in the absence of that, I agree with the others that the M8 is a great camera and one it is hard not to love as a photographic instrument. Which other Leica can you now buy at such a small fraction of its original cost, only 5 or 6 years after its introduction? </p>

<p>The M8 goes for about $2500 the Ricoh GXR M Mount can be gotten for less than $1000. Not cheap by any stretch, but much less than the cheapest digital Leica. If you need the external viewfinder it will be more. It also outperforms in ISO the M9, the files are quite clean up to about 1000 IS0. The bad part is that it is a crop sensor although the M8 is also cropped slightly. It also has video which no Leica currently has. It also lacks the red dot. :)</p>

<p>I have a GXR-M; I cannot afford a Leica. I absolutely love it; I can stick almost any lens on it, as long as I have the right adapter. It is small enough to fit nicely into a coat pocket; I keep the EVF in my inner coat pocket until I have to shoot.<br /> I like the files up to 1600 or so; 3200, they are pretty grainy but still usable. It uses the Sony 12mp sensor that was in Pentax (I think Kx), Sony and Nikon cameras. It, like the Leicas, shows more details than dslrs and the Sony Nex's because of the lack of AA filter.<br /> I'm not into wide angle at all, so the 1.5x crop suits me just fine. I wish it had the Sony 16mp sensor inside that the Pentax K5 and D7000 used (a spectacular sensor, btw), but the current M-module is good enough.<br /> I would not take an M8 over this camera; better sensor in the Ricoh, get to employ histograms in your shooting... the Leica enables more accurate focus, but after a lot of practice with the focusing aids, my focusing is good enough.<br /> With digital cameras depreciating so quickly, I think it's important to get the best bang for your buck, unless you have extremely deep pockets or need the 'best' tools for your living. Ken Rockwell has this part right-- digital cameras come/go, lenses are forever. I'd buy a GXR-M, take the savings and put them toward something else-- like a lens!<br /> Except for the Leica build quality, I think the GXR is a better camera. The M9 is a different story.</p>

<p>Again, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I probably should have pointed out that I have film rangefinders (Zeiss Ikon (I know, not a Leica) and a Leica IIIc). I have no plans to move away from the ZI for "serious" photographs, but I'd like something which let me use my M-mount lenses (both Zeiss and Leica) for digital pictures. Although I could save for a digital Leica I'd rather buy something cheaper and spend the difference on more lenses, I think.</p>