Ricoh Caplio GX - The digital GR1, Epic... ?

og

I have been looking at the various digital Point&Shoots over the

years, but never considered them over my Olympus Mju-II/Epic... until

this <a href="http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/caplio/gx/">Ricoh Caplio

GX</a>!<p>

Summary:<br>

- Small (114x58x29mm [45mm grip included] / 205g) and Black<br>

- Good design & construction. You can use a hood and 37mm filters.<br>

- Very responsive (start-up=1.2s / total lag=0.12s)<br>

- Lens: 28-85mm f/2.5-4.3<br>

- 5MP on 1/1.8" and 64-1600 ISO<br>

- Control (Aperture [3=Min/Medium/Max] & Manual modes) with dial<br>

- Macro, 2 standard AA batteries OR lithium-Ion, Spot, Real-time

Histogram, SD card...<br>

- Price on the net is about 320 euros (vs 470 euros for Canon S60)<p>

Here is a first look by <a href="http://www.letsgodigital.

org/html/firstlook/ricoh/CaplioGX/index_en.html">LetsGoDigital</a>.

Reviews in English should be available soon. Meanwhile, here is a <a

href="http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0525/dcr015.htm">review

in Japanese</a>.<br>

There are some issues, though: No RAW, some <a href="http://forums.

dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?

forum=1000&message=8909486">Purple-Fringing</a> and noise is about

average for small digicams.<p>

Could this be the digital GR1 (or Epic...) we have been looking for ?

<p>

Olivier

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a GR-1 fans and I have been waiting for a good digital P&S that can replace my GR-1. One important criteria is a good 28mm wide angle. I hope the GX is really up to that standard. I also like the hot shoe (which is missing on GR-1) and looking forward to its full review.

However, looking at reviews of its smaller brothers RX and G4 wide, the image quality is not very promising, especially purple fringing. See this link:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_ricoh_caplio_rx.php

You can also look at this sample image from the offical Ricoh Japan web site. You can see some obvious fringing along the edge of the windows.

http://www.ricoh.co.jp/dc/caplio/gx/img/sample/03.jpg

There is another camera that I am closely watching: the Canon S60, which also has a 28mm wide and the ability to shoot RAW. However it lacks the hot shoe.

Ahto: the link provided by David is indeed a review of the Ricoh Caplio RX: the smaller brother of the GX, 3MP released last April. David gave this link because it could provide some hints about the image quality of the newer GX, which probably the same in-camera processing.

Of course, we should wait for an in depth review of the GX in order to make any conclusion on Image quality.

I carry both a GR1V and a Caplio G3 with me so a couple of points that may be of interest:

The G3 is *fast*. You can use it pretty well the same way you can use the GR1V BUT if a SD card is installed it will only let you shoot two or sometimes three frames before it will lock up as it writes to the card. This is something you'd really want to check that they've fixed on the GX.

The G3 has adequate but not startling performance. It's nowhere near as good as my Nikon Coolpix 990. In particular, images lack saturation which gives them a slightly washed out appearance. You can fix this to some degree in Photoshop of course.

The G3 is certainly up to the construction standard of the GR1V. I'd expect the GX to be at least that well made. It's also very compact. With the lens retracted it will fit comfortably in a shirt pocket, just like the GR1V.

Thank you Harvey for your feedback. As far as I know: the GX has a buffer of 3 pics (in 5MP fine) or more (5 pics in normal), and a shoot to shoot time of 1.3s (I believe the 1.3s is once the buffer is full...) - which is perfect for my Street Photography needs.<p>

Here are more data:<br>

- A new very positive <a href="http://www.metek.com.au/ricohgx.php">first look</a>.<br>

- The extensive (194 pages) <a href="http://www.ricohpmmc.com/uk/support/download/camera/manual/CaplioGxmanual_en.pdf">instruction manual</a> of the Ricoh Caplio GX.<p>

It still looks good, although the image quality MAY not be up to the best compact digicams.<p>

Olivier

I am also a fans of GR1 and I bought a G4 wide more than half year ago. The reason for buying it is because I want a GR1 digital, but I am afraid that G4 wide is not I am expecting. I found it very handy, fast and take very good picture in daylight. The major problems of it are: Poor white balance especialy when using indoor and worst with flash (shift to purple). The noise of G4 wide are very noticable as well.

I am looking forward to see a detail review on GX and hope it can be the digital version of GR-1.

Alex

I am looking forward to

I've just ordered the GX from Dora Lau, an ebay seller. I'm in the US so it's coming form Hong Kong, at least 2 weeks off for arrival I'd guess. When I get it I'll post my impressions of it. I don't have a Gr1 to compare it to, and I've been going back and forth over whether to buy one, earlier in the week purchasing instead, a film scanner with the intention of rounding up a GR1s or GR1v. From the scans I've done I don't doubt that would make a terrific combo, but I'm already tired of dropping off film at the minilab, getting the negatives, scanning... you know? I've been doing digital for about 3 years now and I'm simply spoiled by the interactive workflow from capture to printing. So I'm returning the scanner(it's NICE, an Epson 4870) and I've got the GX on the way. It's what I wanted to go for in the first place, but I got freaked by some of the few images available to see.. then some MUCH better pics started showing up and I have to chock up some of the poor image quality I saw earlier to inexperience or just not knowing how to use a digital, or this digital. I'm quite excited to get it now.

When I saw the Caplio GX, I thought it is the digital answer to GR1v, which I love. So I rushed out and got one. Here are my initial experiences:

1. The lens distortion at wide angle is disappointing.

2. If you choose Fine image setting, you can only take two shots.Then the camera locks for about 20 seconds before you can take another shot.

3. In Normal mode, the delay is acceptable, provided you don't shoot too fast. Normal mode is almost as good as Fine. I can hardly see any difference.

4. It compresses pics so much, the file size equals a 3.2 megapixel shot. I can't help wonder if the image quality could be improved with less compression.

Sorry GR1v fans. You get a lot of camera for the price, but it is no digital GR1v.

John

John,

Perhaps I should have waited for more info, I've got one on it's way from Hong Kong. Perhaps I could have bought yours :) ... Are you serious? The camera is only good for 2 fine jpegs and then writes for 20 seconds? You're not exaggerating? Your report here is quite depressing.. are there no good points to comment on? Throw me a bone man!

I've seen some good images posted at wide angle, there's distortion but I haven't found it that bad. The comparison to the GR1's 28mm prime is perhaps not really fair considering this is a zoom lens..and may have been illconsidered on the part of Ricoh. Since when can a zoom compete with a prime? I wonder how well the Leica digilux 2 zoom compares at 28mm with any of Leica's 28mm primes.

The write time though, is extremely discouraging. What kind of SD card are you using?

Dean G.

I'd like to add to the above, that according to LetsGoDigital's first impression review, they found the camera could shoot 3 fine jpegs before having to write to the sd card. I wonder now which it is, 3, or 2? They also didn't specify what that write time was either. I guess I'll have to wait to form my own opinion, 20 seconds seems way over the top..

So... cycle time of 1.3 seconds or 20 seconds? Or in-between? Are those 20 seconds possibly for TIFF files? Or is it a matter of charging the flash (which was suggested on DPReview)? Slow flash charging is quite annoying, but if that is the problem, then it would at least leave the outdoor photography fast.

What about startup time to first shot with flash?

Maybe one can improve the cycle time by shooting 3 Mpixel images? That is quite enough most of the time, and especially when capturing moments, which is what I'd get a fast camera for. I still consider an RX or G4/G4wide, they have resolution enough, but the GX has a bigger buffer (right?) so it should be faster shot-to-shot.

I have checked again. In Fine mode, I can only take 2 consecutive pics. Then I have to wait 17 seconds for the next shot. If I try to do anything else, I have to wait further 4-5 seconds while it finishes writing.

The dealer promised to lend me a high speed sd card to see if it makes any difference.

But as I mentioned earlier, the delay in Normal mode is acceptable, and the difference in quality is hardly noticeable.

Another strange thing: It is mentioned in the manuals and all the literature I have seen, that there is an AF auxiliary lamp that should fire in poor lighting conditions. No such thing!!!! But if I select "red eye" flash, and press the shutter release in TOTAL DARKNESS, the camera will produce a properly exposed and fairly sharp picture.

Despite these annoyances, I think it has some good features that are only available on bulkier and much more expensive cameras. It's a good buy at this price.

Just make sure you have plenty of batteries for it.

The times I mention are for 2592 x 1944 Fine, without flash. If you stick to 2592 x 1944 Normal, then write times are acceptable, because the buffer can store almost twice as many pics. For non- compressed, write time to the card is 1 minute, yes one minute, but if you use the internal memory, it is 28 seconds.

Flash takes only a few seconds to charge.

I will let you know after testing a high speed card.

Dean G

I have tested the Panasonic Lumix equivalent to the Leica Digilux 2. Theres is very little distortion at 28 mm. But we are talking about a camera that weighs almost 3 times more, costs almost four times more.

So, all in all, I think the GX is a good buy, although I would have liked it to be a digital GR1v

John,

I looked at some GR1 vs GX pictures that a japanese owner had posted, found them via the dpreview forum. The GX does indeed have more distortion, and the GR1 lens seems almost supernatural. No doubt we all prefer the in-camera aesthetic, but I guess where it might be critical, the distortion can be corrected out in post processing. It is digital afterall... Otherwise the lens seems reasonably sharp from what I've seen, but one can never tell from images on the web. What's your take on lens sharpness, contrast etc?

The shot to shot write time issue is so at odds with the presumed purpose of this camera, I think it would be a show stopper for me had I not committed to a non-returnable grey market sale. But if the normal compression can produce good 8X10's I can get over it.

What are your impressions of build quality, switchwear etc? Does the GX seem physically robust? At the price point Ricoh is selling it, a lot can indeed be forgiven, although I've paid a premium to get one exported this early. I don't see the D2/LC1 as being compact enough for discreet carrying, plus I find the "hold" aspect of the ergonomics of the Leica version (the only one I've played with) terrible compared to the DSLRs and other cameras that seem to be designed for the hand. The D2 is just a box with a lens in that regard.

Thanks for your hands-on information.

Dean G

I have just returned from the wholesaler's home, where I tried a high speed sd card in the GX. Surprise!! It cuts down write times to about half, despite what someone told Ingemar.

He wouldn't let me have the card (it was his private card) but I ordered one for myself.

"Normal" produces good prints. Unless you have a super printer, there is not much to gain from "Fine".

I think the compression and default sharpening are a little harsh, but you can set the latter to your taste.

The build qaulity is fairly good, although the optical viewer is primitive.

I love the "Adj" button. You can press it with your thumb and use your forefinger to spin the wheel. That gives you quick access to the essential controls without messing around with menus and fiddly buttons, and it's programmable.

Another thing I like: The display can be turned off to save power, but will immediately come to life when you touch the release button, and switch itself off when lift your finger.

I agree with you about the Leica and the Lumix. They have a great lens, a nice flash, and very good controls, but they are too bulky. At that price, you can get a dslr that will produce better images.

Thanks John,

That's welcome news. Could you please tell us what card that is? I was considering ordering from SimpleTech as I've found their CF cards are rather speedy but if you've got a known recommendation that would be much appreciated.

I got mine recently. If you switch the continuous mode to ON, you can get three frames @ fine/MaxRes before it pause and writes to the card. Though I have not any real test, I remember it takes between 12-15 sec before it can shoot again. Flash charges takes about 5 seconds. fyi I'm using good old AA batteries and a 256mb sandisk card.

Amazing! So a GX with a fast SD might, after all, be the hot pick that it first seemed. I thought it was very honest of Ricoh to admit that the camera was too slow for fast SD's, but being honest about misconceptions is, well...

So, avoid "fine", at least in full res, use red-eye flash in low light for better focusing, use fast SD... That should be enough to get started. :-)

From what I've been able to find 10Mbyte/sec is the current upper limit for SD speed. Simple Tech has a 256 card for $86.00 US, that's not too bad. I don't generally require a lot of rapid shooting so if the camera can do 2 quick snaps in a row and the subsequent write time is reduced to at least less than 10sec I think I'll be happy. I wonder how Tiff write times will be affected with the faster cards? I'll be glad to finally receive the camera so I can find these things out first hand, but all the information here has been quite helpful.

The Caplio GX record and write timings to an SD card may depend on the type of battery as much as the SD card as my own stopwatch gives me the following:<p>

2592 Fine with No Compression TIF ... ... 17 seconds from shutter click to 'ready for next shot'.

<p>

2592 Fine, compressed JPEG ... ... 4 seconds from shutter click to 'ready for next shot'.

<p>

2592 Fine, compressed JPEG ... ... 8 shots before hiatus for card writing.

<p>

This is using a SanDisk 256Mb SD card, and the Ricoh DB-43 Li-ion rechargeable battery.

<p>

First time flash charge is about 10 seconds, and recharge around half that.

<p>

I leave the file size on F2592 all the time, but then I don't need x number of frames per second ...

<p>

The dealer had said that using the Li-ion battery made a big difference over AAs, and frankly I thought it was sales hype - but reading of the 20 secs, and 1 minute write times, I figure he may have been right. Never that slow.