Rewinded uncorrectly?

jaylevent

This is my first time using an analog camera and i finished taking all the pictures in my roll. I tried to rewind using the instructions from the manual but realized i stopped at pic 9 or something. I then pushed the buttons again except it unrolled the film i think? My film frame counter has returned to 36 instead of the S it should be showing, but if i try to rewind again it doesnt do anything. Also, there is a little film advance indicator window and i think its showing me the same thing as when i loaded the camera. What should I do? My camera is a Nikon F-401x if that helps.

What is this analog camera of which you speak?

In any case, as long as the batteries in your camera are good and you initiated a rewind cycle by pressing the two buttons, there's no reason to think the film didn't rewind correctly. You should have heard a motor running for 10-20 seconds(I have an N4004, which is called the F-401 everywhere else in the world) and I don't remember it being a particularly fast rewinder. In any case, the camera is "smart" enough to keep rewinding until all the film is back in the can.

I know Nikon says the counter should count backwards when you rewind the film, and I honesty haven't used mine enough to pay attention to whether or not that's the case. Generally, though, this style frame counter only resets when you open the back.

• 4 weeks later...
In an emergency, a heavy coat can be used as a changing bag. You need to close up the big holes somehow and put your arms into the sleeves from the end...

here from the professional cameraman's handbook:

[ATTACH=full]1221468[/ATTACH]

Back in my very early days of photography before I even had a changing bag, I loaded reels for a while in a home-made set up. I took a box and put it down in a black garbage bag. When I needed to load reels or do any other dark, I'd go into a large walk-in closet, toss a blanket over my improvised changing bag, turn off the lights in the closet, and stuff a towel under the door. I'd also point the bottom of the box toward the door, with the open end facing me.

That may have been overkill, but I never fogged any film doing that.

BTW, I still sometimes put a box inside my changing bag. It makes things less stuffy and IMO easier to maneuver.

You NEED a LARGE changing bag.

I made the mistake of getting a small bag for 35mm. Why do I need a LARGE bag for 35mm? Well I found out the hard way.

More air in a large bag, takes longer to get stuffy and sticky, vs. less air in a small bag.

Ben

I like the idea of a box in the bag. That way I don't have to worry about snagging,cutting the bag with a scisors or can opener.

Gary,

Shooting sheet film was what made me break down and buy one. At the time, I was only piddling around with a 2x3 miniature Crown Graphic, but went ahead and bought one large enough(barely) to allow me to handle 8x10. Now that I shoot a lot of 4x5, I'm happy that it's plenty roomy for a box of film and several holders.