Review of Peli/Pelican 1450, 1470 and 1510 waterproof hardshell cases

NK Guy

Odd, I couldn't get the link to work the first time I clicked on it, and just assumed it was the extra space. It does indeed work fine now.

I enjoyed the review. I'm thinking of buying the 1450 for a Grand Canyon trip in a couple months. There are so many different sizes, and yet there never seems to be one just the *right* size. The 1450 would pack more than I need though, and is probably the one that would work best.

NK - thanks for posting this. I have used Pelican cases for many years and am sold on the benefits they afford, and can recommend them wholeheartedly.

My big gripe with this whole fiasco, and to which you allude in your article, is that aside from the rough handling likely to befall sensitive gear, the use of any type of case that marks it out as a likely source of 'loot' will make it a target for thieves.

Bloody hell, we travellers are being treated like criminals by airlines in the name of 'passenger safety' and being refused permission to carry on our vitally important camera kit- maybe not vital if on holiday, but vital if your livlihood depends on it.

Now I have no problems with seeking to ensure passenger safety (naturally) BUT, and its a big BUT......if the airlines cannot guarantee that the people they employ wont open my cases and steal whatever they find what the hell are they playing at? Am I the only person to be concerned that any airport staff baggage handler who is willing to open a case to take something out, may not have any problem with putting something into a case.

So off we go into the air and I have no idea what's been stolen from my case, but more worryingly have no idea what might been put into my bag whilst in the care of the airline.

If the airlines own internal security was as good as the demands they are placing on we travellers, then they should be offering unconditional guarantees that their interviewed/selected/background checked employees will not seek to enhance their income with the proceeds of the sale of my camera gear. Gear should be at risk of damage, but NOT risk of theft. Its absurd that any system thats designed to offer 'safety' should be so fundamentally flawed.

Just look at the immediate aftermath of the supposed 'tightening up' of security - hundreds of additionally checked in bags lost 'in the system' - are they floating about in some carousel limbo, or out of the loop and being sold? And a 12 year old boy waltzing through London's security with no passport or boarding card and found sitting on a plane, and the woman on the USA bound flight found (apparently) with items that should have been removed at security.

I joined a work colleague on a plane after the previous post 911 restrictions had been implemented, which he had boarded earlier further south. Despite 'rigorous' checks and searches, on our arrival at our destination and when emptying our carryon bags we both found (to our surprise) that we had knives which we had (very) foolishly forgotten to remove before travelling. That we could both get onto the same plane carrying such weapons worried me.

Anyway....whats the internal USA situation? Last time I travelled cases were required to be left unlocked, and if not unlocked would be opened by whatever method deemed necessary. Is this still the situation? And if so what happens to your highly protective Pelican case - does it arrive safely, but empty?

Domestic travel in the US still permits carry-on baggage subject to the usual size

restriction. The only thing that has changed in the US is that the TSA now mandates shoe

removal (it was optional before). Not sure how that affects people like myself who are

handicapped and have braced legs. I guess I will find out.

Personally I think it is time for ocean liners to make a come-back. Air travel is just not

worth the hassle any more. When traveling between Washington DC and New York or

Boston, I always take the train now. Always.

Thanks for the review. I ordered the 1514 a few months ago. The 1514 is the 1510 case but with dividers instead of foam. Prices are indeed very high here in Europe. I ordered it from http://www.isarfoto.de in Germany where the prices are still reasonable. Thanks to the EU we can now at least buy everywhere in the EU without any costums, additional taxes or whatsoever. Although the Brits haven�t discovered the Euro yet, they are indeed part of the EU and can also buy without problems. :-)

The 1510/1514 is a lovely case for transporting some heavy equipment without having to carry it. but the wheels will only works on a nice flat surface. Don�t even try to use it on grass or so. And outside on concrete or tarmac the wheels will quickly shown signs of wear.

I had also hoped it would be just suitable as cabin luggage. Maybe in flights not involving UK or US. You mentioned its weigth of 5.3 kg is 50% of what some airlines allow. Well, some allow just 5kg or 7kg. :-( Easyjet had dropped the maximum for cabin luggage ("what you can lift is allowed"). But that will change too now I am afraid.