Review Nikon 200-500mm 5.6

mike_halliwell

Lenstip have finally done their review of the above lens, and the feeling that up to @ 420mm it's absolutely fine, but beyond there it suffers from slightly soft FX edges. DX is OK,

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 200–500 mm f/5.6E ED VR review - Image resolution - LensTip.com

DoF aside, you could almost use it as an f8 preset as it's DX sweet-spot up to 350mm is pretty peaky. Your FX edges may benefit from f10.

VR is measured as a reassuring 4 stops.

For comparison with the 500mm 5.6 PF, under the same testing model, look here..

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 500 mm f/5.6E PF ED VR review - Image resolution - LensTip.com

Bottom line, if you use 500mm more than 90% of the time, get the PF...;)

Well if you crop too deep from the 200-500, the quality will fall below expectations (or level of what is considered acceptable), so there is a limit to it. Given the higher sharpness of the 500 PF, you can retain acceptable image quality while cropping deeper. I expect that most people who use a 500mm are a lot of the time in a situation where they still can't fill the frame with the subject in the intended composition without cropping. A 70-200 can do 200mm if that's needed and given how stiff the 200-500's zoom is, probably one can switch lenses in the same time one would take to zoom from 500mm to 200mm with that lens. And with the 70-200 you can further zoom down to 70mm (which takes about 1 second and not 10).

I do understand that the 200-500 is excellent value.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

The 200-500 is a great value if the lens works for you. My primary and major dislike is the slow AF. This isn't a problem for some (and perhaps for better photographers than I) but I've missed a number of shots waiting on it to focus. It's great for cityscapes and still animals, a challenge for anything that's moving.
  • Like 1