Reversible Hood for 35mm 'Cron v1

baisao

<p>Hi Jim,<br /> nice to see you again, but in my experience, nope.<br /> IROOA and more modern vented hoods work fine, even better the not homologated deeper 12585 (I see no vignetting).<br /> The focus tab of the v1 is too comfortable (read: big) and the lens is too compact for reversing an effective hood, I believe.</p>

<p>A 35 mm lens is pretty short, even with the hood in place. The plastic cap that fits over the ears of a reversed hood is not retained very well. I am fortunate to still have mine, but have spent a lot of time looking for them after being dropped by accident.</p>

<p>For convenience and protection, you might find a snap cap from another lens that fits in the opening of the hood. Since the angle is reversed, a snap cap is held reasonably securely. I use a 67 mm (?) Nikon lens cap on mine.</p>

<p>Jim, IROOA is the one I grew up with, classic look but slight VF intrusion. This "Slotting a piece out" - technique you do not want to try with the geometrically complex vented hoods. And yes, with digital I figured out that the 12585 is also usable with the - earlier designed V1. It may vignette with later 35mm Summicrons. You already have the v1 35mm Cron? Best, Knut</p>

Knut, I am just kicking tires. Considering that most of my work is B&W and that I prefer lenses with neutral character, the

v1 makes sense to me.

As for cutting a notch into hoods, I see what you mean with vented vs the less complex IROOA. I'll add to this that it

would feel a bit blasphemous to alter an antique so much. Perhaps blasphemy isn't the word. I know I would feel bad

doing it. Hehe.