reverse mounting lens

keerthi

Reversing the lens is justified if the magnification is greater than 1. Otherwise, it is a poor substitute to using extension rings, often with lesser quality.

If you use extension rings with a zoom lens, you no longer have focus tracking with the zoom. This is an inconvenience rather than an impediment.

What is your prime lens and reversing setup? If it worked on your film camera it should work on your digital camera. I used the BR-something reversing ring before.

Edward's advice is a little outdated. If you use the Kenko extension tubes and an AF lens you can maintain metering, autofocus (both AF-s and screwdriver AF), and VR (vibration reduction)

If you add any extension ring to a zoom lens, you'll lose focus as soon as the zoom ring is used. Then, having metering intact won't help you, and due to the huge differences in focus I don't think AF will be of much help either although it in theory could work.

The proper way to use a zoom lens for close-ups is adding a close-up lens to its front threads. Some zoom lenses will work well reversed *if* you reverse-mount them *with* the close-up lens attached. In this case, zooming simply changes magnification which is very handy for trimming the composition.

Prime lenses work best for reversing. You can use the lens you used before on your film SLR (brand doesn't matter) and reverse it onto your D40, you'll have to use the camera in full manual mode, and what I read indicates that the meter won't function.

You can do macro with the kit lens using diopter (closeup) lenses that screw onto the filter threads. The best ones are dual-element made by a few different manufacturers, and cost around $80 each.

The best results can be obtained using a macro lens - the Tamron 90mm is very highly recommended on these forums. It can be had from KEH for about $340 in excellent condition, and KEH ratings are very conservative. I have the Sigma 105 macro, and think it's a great value - takes great pictures.

<i>Can I reverse mount the 18-55 kit lens on my d40x dslr and take macro pictures?</i>

<p>

Yes you can.

<p>

<i>What are the limitations?</i>

This being a G lens will remain at its smallest aperture. To overcome this limitation, you need to add an E2 extension ring to the rear of the lens. This ring is no longer made but easily found used. Use the 'plunger' in the E2 ring to open the aperture in the lens.

<p>

The E2 ring will also act as a lens shade.<div>00MRiK-38317984.jpg.129a9ca3bbdc6ae2c2413a263bc390dc.jpg</div>

That 'mount' as I already mention, Joe, is a modified BR-4, equipped with a Nikon "Chip". I use it to mount a G lens like the 18-55 kit zoom

to have close-up capabilities and (manual) aperture control with matrix metering. It is too confusing for those who don't know what I am talking about and I suggest they leave it.

An example:<div>00MS8f-38329584.thumb.jpg.5c06a828adb32d516765f97bc93d80b9.jpg</div>