Returning Pentax lens

htarragon

<p>So, I bit the bullet, pulled the trigger and ordered the 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM lens. Thought it would be just the thing for portraits. Tried it out for a few days and was disappointed. I tend to take my portraits outdoors in daylight or shade. All gf a sudden, my exposures were all over the place - overexposed, underexposed by several stops. Bokeh was not much better at 2.8 than my 55-300 @4.5. And the AF lag was weird. It was definitely quieter than the normal drive - couldn't hear it (maybe that made the lag weirder). Paying full price (ordered on the web) didn't help. Could have gotten mucho $$$ off by getting the in-store price. So maybe I'll use my Pentax 50mm-M f/2 on my K-5.</p>

<p>somehow I'm glad to hear of your misfortune. Cause I'm always thinking I wil make better pictures if I pay top-price for a top-lens. Greed and/or poverty has kept me, but god knows I'been close to the edge. Your mishap has now convinced me to not buy this lens. Thanks for saving me :)<br />Instead I'm now thinking of a manual 50mm 1.7 for portraits, very good glass and cheap too.<br />And concentrate even more on my creativity, rather than my wallet.</p>

<p>Howard, have you considered the HD DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited? I have been shooting with the HD DA 21 for a few weeks and it's stellar. 70mm is a great focal length for portrait. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been considering the 50-135 for some time but opted to avoid SDM. The SDM issues on some of the DA* lenses were enough to keep me interested in screw-drive lenses. Then there's always the FA 77 Limited….<br>

</p>

<p>I have a 90mm Tamron 2.8 (not particularly fast AF) and a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 manual focus (not a great feel) and a I wanted a zoom for composition. Very disappointing. It's considerable weight forced me to hold the lens and camera properly. and up close there was good bokeh but not farher away.<br>

I don't understand all the rave reviews.</p>

<p>Howard, have you considered returning the lens for a different copy? These days, all of the camera/lens makers have shoved quality control off to the consumer. Many people have had a bad first copy, and then a stellar second one. <br>

The 50-135 is a highly regarded lens by some people who know what they're doing.<br>

Rick</p>

<p>The DA* 50-135mm is not especially noteworthy as a portrait lens. In fact, some testers have said it's not all that good at closer focus distance. Even the traditional full-frame 70-200mm f/2.8 it replaces is not the type often used for portraits or other closer focus work. I have this very fine Pentax lens and have never experienced the exposure issues you mention. You might consider the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for your needs. I've read some very positive comments about it from those who own it. A lot less money too. </p>

<p>I'm very happy with my Tamron 28-75/2.8. It's my go-to portrait lens. <br>

I've rented a 50-135/2.8 in the past and found it good but I decided to save my money and get the Tamron. <br>

My Pentax DA 50/1.8 is a good portrait lens too. <br>

Tamron 28-75/2.8</p>

<p><a title="IMGP2000-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr" href=" IMGP2000-Edit src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/13964587935_9ef5ed235e_z.jpg" alt="IMGP2000-Edit" width="512" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>Sorry to read about your disappointment! I also own that lens since six years back in time. I use it as my complementary telezoom when travelling, together with my Pentax 16-50mm/2.8 normal zoom. I also have the Pentax 60-250mm/4, which I prefer when not having to consider weight and size restrictions.<br>

The 50-135 zoom gives good picture quality (above medium quality I would say): I have never had any obvious problems with it regarding sharpness or the kind of exposure issues that you describe. The 60-250mm is however the better one of the two lenses, really giving fantastic picture quality in terms of sharpness. Both are very quiet when zooming which is convenient but I had to repair the SDM of my 50-135 when it stopped working once. The SDM is a weakness, I agree. The SDM of the 60-250mm, however, seems much more rarely affected.<br>

I think you got a bad copy so I recommend you to return and change it. I did so with my first 16-50mm and got a good copy instead. But the 16-50mm zoom also has had the SDM problem, twice in fact. One of these times they fixed it for free, I am happy to say.<br>

You can always go to Flickr to see some of my pictures. I have started to use an account there for picture presentations. They are still rather few but I have a couple of winter videos and a picture series from Iceland.<br>

www.flickr.com/photos/97622656@N05/sets/<br>

Wish you good luck with your lens problem!</p>