Return of the Conquering Heroine--Ste. Jeanne d'Arc

<p>The Maid of Orléans is restored to her perch in the City of Brotherly Love.</p>

<p>These photos of the recently restored and regilded bronze statue of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc near 25th Street and Kelly Drive in Philadelphia were taken using colour negative stock, Fuji Pro 400H. (I would have preferred a slower emulsion, such as Kodak Ektar 100 or Portra 160VC, but I was finishing off a roll already in the camera.)</p>

<p>The statue had undergone a 9-month restoration and regilding with 23½-carat gold; it was reset on its pedestal in April 2010.</p><div>00WTBl-244395584.jpg.e22e5fa2850528b9ba6b35de41b5125e.jpg</div>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>

<p >The Emmanuel Frémiet statute of 1874 was made from a plaster mould commissioned by Emperor Napoleon III and originally located in Paris. The City of Philadelphia commissioned a copy of the Paris statue, but Frémiet sent the original as he had replaced the Paris statue with a revised one, which now stands at the Place des Pyramides, having been relocated from its original location due to subway construction.</p>

</p><div>00WTBu-244395684.jpg.aa9e16a918408e6c690f18c3dc5d5f87.jpg</div>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>I don't think a slower film would have made much difference, except for maybe being able to throw the background out of ficus by opening up on the aperture. The gold of the statue is saturated enough. Next time, try using a 90mm or 135mm lens from a little further away.</p>

<p>I've been to Rouen, years ago. For me, the real miracle of Joan of Arc was that she was an 18-year-old <em>girl</em> who commanded the French troops to victory in the <em>XVth Century. </em>If that's not the hand of God in things, I don't know what is! I read where her battle tactics are still studied at Sandhurst and West Point.</p>

<p>Marcello,<br>

Few people today understand that her virginity in the 15th century carried great mystical significance, especially in an age where there were few, if any, 18-year-old peasant virgins.<br>

When I get back to Philadelphia, I will re-shoot it using a slower speed film and getting close ups of the face to show the exquisite detail.</p>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>I know the statue well. I was unaware it had been removed for restoration. It did start looking kind of "shop worn." Glad to see she was refurbished and placed back in her space. A real artistic gem. <em>Vive la France! </em>indeed.</p>

<p>Interesting statue, but I have to say gilded statues are a bit of an acquired taste. To me they generally look rather tacky unless on the top of a dome or tower where their main function is to catch the light from afar. Give me a bronze one over gold any day.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Robin,</p>

<p>In a way, that's what the statue does, catch the light from afar. The neighbourhood where the statue is located has a great many high-rise buildings whose residents gaze from afar at 'their' Joan and were very happy to see it restored.</p>

<p>I think it is the only gilded statue in Fairmount Park, but I'm not 100-percent certain. A magnificent piece of artwork, in any event.</p>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck