Return of Ektachrome!

<p>Yup. Kodak Alaris <a href="http://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2016/kodak-alaris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film">has/have announced</a> that Ektachrome E100 (probably the 'G' version) will be re-introduced in Q4 2017! This was my favorite chrome of all time, even including K64. No word on whether Kodak will resume production of E-6 chemicals, but those are still available. Although many labs have ceased to offer E-6 processing, any facility with a "dip-and-dunk" system like Refrema could simply buy chemistry and set up a line.</p>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Never mind that the collapse of demand for E-6 materials also took down many labs' processing lines. Refrema-based E-6 lines depended on volume to be profitable. Today's tiny residual film market isn't capable of supporting more than a handful of quality pro labs in N. America. Just be prepared for higher film and processing prices when Ektachrome arrives later this year. I'm hoping I'm wrong but can't imagine we'll see the clock turned back.</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see if it will stick around. I do know a place that is still developing E-6 one day a week. However I am not going to buy any. After the death of film and labs and all I started developing B/W film at home and I am going to stick with that. I do hope Ektachrome makes a go of it and if they use it in the movie industry then it will be awesome. It would be so cool if Ektachrome was in National Geographic again. To much to hope for but I would buy a copy for sure. </p>

<p>Yes, indeed great news, I still remember the ektachrome 64 professional I used to develop at home in the nineties. Great film, with pull processing I obtained some incredible results in terms of delicate colours and tonal range, with minimal grain.<br>

<br />Now I just hope that Ferrania be able to actually come to light but that's just a six people team working on the project so it will take some more time, I guess.<br>

My hope is that some camera producer will revive a little analog line of camera, on m part I could appreciate a new Zeiss contax.<br>

I have never felt at ease with digital, in the end because I felt results to be somehow perfect but sounding subtly artificial, if not using expensive cameras.<br>

Something very similar to the vinyl versus digital question in the hi-end sound reproduction. At very high level some digital machines can have stellar performance but I'm speaking of some thousands of euros/dolalrs/pound class machines, in the average hi-fi field vinyl sounds warmer and more natural.<br>

With film I feel a "warm" sensation that digital simply doesn't give. As of prints made out of digital cameras, even speaking of very professional prints I see at good level exhibitions, I would say they satisfy me to a great but not surely full extent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The cool (but also frustrating) aspect of using slide film is that you have to put in the effort and care before exposing. After exposure, there is nothing more to do. If you want to scan the film, the film is its own reference for how the scan should look.</p>

<p>Sadly it's expensive to process so I'm not sure if it will ever be as popular as negative film, even among professionals.</p>

<p>Actually I want to shoot slide film now more than before. I started out in late 70's shooting slides but changed to negative film in the 80's because I have more control on the process. But now darkroom is difficult, I can't get chemicals, so it's better for me to shoot slides and the process is still under my control. E6 processing is fixed.</p>

<p>Karim I always thought that the nice part of slide films was that they are more demanding of proper exposure and less tolerant of error. It makes me work harder to get the result I want. If there is no more to do after the exposure, so what. There never was and I kept on moving to the next photo. Most photographers get to a point that they know what the image will look like and know when they have gotten exactly what they wanted. In the news business I always knew when I had gotten what I was after and that the technical side was correct. I have had to work hard in digital to keep myself paying attention to what is going on and not wasting time looking at what I have already done. I am glad I'll have a little less distraction when I shoot film.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>Karim, I want to shoot slides now because I don't do darkroom work no more. My exposure controls are all the things I can do for the slides. If I shoot negative now and without a darkroom it would be so bad for me having to rely on the labs to make lots of decision for me.</p>

<p>Last I knew, Kodak was still making E6 chemistry, but not film. </p>

<p>I am glad to see it back. Not that I shoot much, but I will probably buy some.</p>

<p>There is a nearby lab that does a 36 exp. roll for about $12. Not so bad. I hope that they stay in business, along with KodakAlaris.</p>

<p>Yes reversal films are a little harder to get the exposure right, but mostly cameras with built-in meters meant not worrying much about that.</p>

-- glen

<p>Chrome film does not have the dynamic range of negative film and is why one must be more precise with exposure, to preserve highlight and shadow detail. I don't see how anyone considers that a nice thing. Negative film is more forgiving, therefore one can get a quality image over a wider range of exposure. Not that I am against chrome film, it is great for projection, its intended purpose.</p>