Retina IIIS conundrum

<p>I've recenty acquired a Kodak Retina IIIS in very good conditions and fully working (even the meter!), which however shows a perplexing defect.<br>

AFAIK installing any of the available lenses should result in the appropriate frame becoming automatically visible in the finder, while the largest frame (for the 35mm lens) remains always visible. In my camera, this does not happen - only the largest frame shows, irrespective of the lens.<br>

If I understand it correctly, the frame projection function is controlled by the same concentric pin that also provides RF coupling. There is no visible sign of damage to the pin, and the RF works perfectly well. The frame even moves for parallax correction, so the linkage is not broken. But then, where are the frames for 50, 80 and 135mm lenses?<br>

If this is a pointer to something gone bersek in the camera's innards, is it repairable? Or, am I missing something? (This being a Retina, I wouldn't be surprised being told, "BEFORE installing a new lens, you must do three somersaults to the left, touch your nose with your left big toe, and then....")</p>

<p>Brian, I shall be waiting for your next message.... However this adds another twist to our mistery. I happen to also own another IIIS, also fully working (including the meter), but missing the RF coupling pin. Just for the sake of it, I've tried inserting into the slot a needle cut to measure, and the result is... the RF still does not work, but turning the focusing ring on whatever lens in installed causes the various frames to show up in succession! So, it would seems there is a linkage of sort between the pin and the frames.</p>

Looking at the Retina IIIS mount with the lens off: the RF coupling pin and Frameline Selector are concentric. The

coupling pin on the inside, the frameline selector is around it. The frameline selector has a rim around it. I'm

thinking it could easily jam of with dirt/grime. Look at the pin, look for the rim of the frameline selector- try to pull it

out. I did this, could see the framelines change. If it is sticky, a little Isopropyl alchohol or Ronsonol (lighter fluid)

should help.

<p>In the meantime I've been in touch with Chris Sherlock's Retina repair service in New Zealand, and he was kind enough as to share his know-how with me. The pin is actually made up by four different brass elements that control frame projection, wrapped around a steel pin that controls the rangefinder. The whole is kept in place by a brass coller against the back face of the shutter. Just trying to understand what has gone wrong would thus require completely dismantling the entire shutter assembly - well beyond my limited capabilities. I will thus probably end up by buying Chris' offer for a CLA + whatever repairs are required at NZ$265.</p>