Resolutions?

A family tradition, and mild form of torture, was my Father's quizzing all who attended New Year's Day dinner on their New Year's Resolutions, as well as what had been accomplished against those from the previous Year. Well, Mom and Dad have been gone for some time, but in so many ways they are always present. This small memory just a token.

Keeping it to photography, I will be shooting more film and doing at least minimal processing at home. I also plan to use my old lenses on the digitals more frequently, ideally one day a week. I would also like to expand into some new photographic genres - astro and maybe a little underwater.

What are your resolutions?

Something cool that happened this year that will likely affect my photography next year is that, because of Fixed Focal Length Fridays in No Words, I started using my 50mm more often and leaving my 24-105 at home (which has really helped relieve some pain in my shoulder since the zoom is really big and heavy, though I love it). I've been learning a lot by doing that, experimenting and having fun with different aspects of shooting on the street that way, and getting some results I'm happy with. Will also probably continue to use my iPhone camera more and more as the convenience and non-conspicuousness of it is a treat. These are not so much resolutions as they are a natural outgrowth of experience and circumstance. That's much better to me than making a resolution because there's no pressure and less chance of missing the mark. As for the important stuff, it should take about 6 weeks to lose the weight I put on since Thanksgiving and I do it every year so I'm pretty confident in that one.

Oh, and, of course, I'll become a better person! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Good question as I normally don't make any. BUT...I've spent a good bit of time and money in 2017 buying some really nice older film Nikons and MF lenses, setting up my darkroom as well as updating some of the digital gear. My resolution now will be to get off my rear end and put it all to work!! And by the way Vincent, college towns are a lot of fun. This one sure is. Happy New Years all.

Rick H.

• Like 1

1. Sell more old and unused equipment on eBay.

2. Donate and throw out more old and unused equipment.

3. Throw out slides, negatives, and prints of marginal interest to me and others.

4. Scan more slides and negatives that are actually worth keeping.

5. Maintain the resolve to actually do steps 1 through 4, as opposed to previous years and decades.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 1

Those dreary vows that everyone makes. Everyone breaks. Photographic adventure is part of my constitution. So I got to keep in shape and go out to where there are lots of stuff and lots of people. And I now have a camera that I will carry on my belt. I vow to make it like a garment. But then, I am already working on attitude and living in a time when Anxiety floats everywhere it seems. My hobby will be more and more important in keeping me sane I think. Thus I pledge myself. Keep sane. Visit at least one neighbor island again. (Drink little tourist pink potions with vanda orchards and take macros of them.) And take buses to downtown Ala Moana and ogle the visitors in their his and her shirts. And the kids in torn jeans. People are still funny thank goodness. i love them. I photograph them.

JDMvW.

"H.Res.257 - Condemning hate crime and any other form of racism, religious or ethnic bias, discrimination, incitement to violence, or animus targeting a minority in the United States."

"Targeting a minority in the United States"

Interestingly discriminatory.......

Gotta hate the right people donchaknow.

Edited by Moving On

I suppose my resolution would be H.R. 257 (LINK).

EDIT - I tried to post this last night, but kept getting error messages. So here it is now.

It reads in part:

"Calls on federal law enforcement officials, working with state and local officials, to: (1) expeditiously investigate all credible reports of hate crimes and incidents and threats against minorities in the United States, and (2) bring the perpetrators to justice."

So, people who are in the MAJORITY have no rights here? Thanks a bunch!

Going to start developing Black and white.....

I think the "majorities" take care of themselves

It seems that some of us here are "very. very good people" too.

And there we have it,

Directly from their spokesperson.

It seems to me that the majority does a pretty good job taking care of the minority.

And that is true in oppressed as well as free societies......

There hasn't been another moderator on all day or I'd have asked for assistance rather than address a problem on a thread I started. My intent at the start was Photographic Resolutions, clearly stated - "Keeping it to photography,"

If the politics continue I'll delete or close the thread.