Requesting help with Mamiya 645 Pro/ Auto Winder Set-up

josephvinson

Hello photographers, I recently purchased a Mamiya 645 Pro that was equipped with an Auto Winder which I think is a WG401 model and a prism finder on top. I really do not know how to begin using the camera, I have looked up manuals and videos about the camera and its components/how to load the film, but I cannot seem to approach the winding process properly with the auto-winder.

I would like to know what are the steps with using the auto-winder after loading film and closing the film back door, what are the steps from start to finish after loading the film.

Thank you so much for your help.

-JV

20181006_153301.thumb.jpg.7fd4ff6a3e984c89b131a356d495ef4b.jpg

20181006_153315.thumb.jpg.573b12f17a648b0fbbc49c1eb3d3bae1.jpg

20181006_153331.thumb.jpg.eea15141d4c7886f95b03ef5727bcd33.jpg

20181006_153340.thumb.jpg.2b99379c7f66b0e60acab54988bb845f.jpg

20181006_153350.thumb.jpg.b4c737f4df6e7903a42b3ba8502c5bba.jpg

First, make sure the camera isn't set for multi-exposure. The multi-exp key is on the right side of the camera body, and the winder covers it; so there's a slider on the bottom of the winder. That should be at the little square mark, not at 'Multi'

Set the film speed dial on the film back for the film you mean to load.

Load the film onto the removable insert. The black inside of the backing paper should be visible across the pressure plate, and you wind on until the broad arrow on the paper (across the paper, not along it) lies across the upper roller of the insert.

Press the insert into the film back until it clicks home, and shut the door. Take out the dark slide.

Now, the winder I have looks slightly different to yours; I guess mine's an older style; but the important thing is there is a position on its main switch (the collar round the shutter button on the grip) labelled 'Start'. When you turn the switch to that (and hold it), the camera should advance to frame 1. You should hear the motor whirr for a second or so, then stop. The frame counter on the film back should now be at '1'. Then, let the collar go and it should fall back to 'On'; leave it there if you mean to photograph straight away; or switch off if not.

If that's not what you experience, the first thing to check is the batteries in the winder. Check that they're in the right way round, and that they're new. The winder has it's own battery check on that main switch ('BC'); the camera's battery check is on the front of the camera body. I don't know if the camera's battery would stop you getting to frame 1, but it's easy to check it anyway.

Good luck!

First, make sure the camera isn't set for multi-exposure. The multi-exp key is on the right side of the camera body, and the winder covers it; so there's a slider on the bottom of the winder. That should be at the little square mark, not at 'Multi'

Set the film speed dial on the film back for the film you mean to load.

Load the film onto the removable insert. The black inside of the backing paper should be visible across the pressure plate, and you wind on until the broad arrow on the paper (across the paper, not along it) lies across the upper roller of the insert.

Press the insert into the film back until it clicks home, and shut the door. Take out the dark slide.

Now, the winder I have looks slightly different to yours; I guess mine's an older style; but the important thing is there is a position on its main switch (the collar round the shutter button on the grip) labelled 'Start'. When you turn the switch to that (and hold it), the camera should advance to frame 1. You should hear the motor whirr for a second or so, then stop. The frame counter on the film back should now be at '1'. Then, let the collar go and it should fall back to 'On'; leave it there if you mean to photograph straight away; or switch off if not.

If that's not what you experience, the first thing to check is the batteries in the winder. Check that they're in the right way round, and that they're new. The winder has it's own battery check on that main switch ('BC'); the camera's battery check is on the front of the camera body. I don't know if the camera's battery would stop you getting to frame 1, but it's easy to check it anyway.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply on my post. I attempted to load a roll of film and use it, but had some troubles...perhaps my auto-winder is bust?

I loaded film and closed the hatch to the back, removed the dark slide, and moved the switch to 'Start' on the winder, but nothing happened.

I was able to expose some photos via the winder exposure button, but after 6 or so it stopped. I then opened the back of the film body and noticed it

had not fully advanced, but upon closing it I was able to make more exposures. I know the film is ruined, but I was just trying to troubleshoot.

What do you get from the battery check?

Another thing you might do is detach and reattach the film back, since winding the film relies on the mesh between the gears in the camera and the back. I have never seen these not connect well, but you never know. You have to put the dark slide in to detach the back.

I got the manual crank as well (I hope it would make the camera a little quieter; it does, but only a little).

What do you get from the battery check?

Another thing you might do is detach and reattach the film back, since winding the film relies on the mesh between the gears in the camera and the back. I have never seen these not connect well, but you never know. You have to put the dark slide in to detach the back.

I got the manual crank as well (I hope it would make the camera a little quieter; it does, but only a little).

Yup batteries are fresh, and I re-did the connection, loaded a new roll of film and it did seem to wind it to '1' when I set it to 'Start'.

But then I exposed 1 photograph and when I attempt to expose another it makes a single clicking noise.

I had a 401 battery winder and found it near useless, and unreliable. You can wind on the camera almost as fast by hand-crank. It does offer the facility to auto-cock a leaf shuttered lens, but if you don't have one of those I really don't see much point in the autowinder.

More importantly, you're obviously new to the camera and I'd strongly advise that you check out the condition of the mirror-rest before spending more time on it.

The mirror rest is a small plastic part that's supposed to gently brake the mirror as it flips down after exposing a picture. It also adjusts and positions the mirror correctly. It's located under the front of the mirror on the right of the camera as you look into the lens throat.

Unfortunately, Mamiya chose to make this vital part out of flimsy plastic, rather than stronger metal; with the result that it's prone to cracking or breaking. Once that happens the focus of the camera is thrown out and repair is difficult or impossible due to the part being no longer available.

In short, check the condition of the sprung plastic mirror rest. If it's cracked or broken, then the whole camera is pretty useless. No point even bothering about the power winder if that's the case.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I had a 401 battery winder and found it near useless, and unreliable. You can wind on the camera almost as fast by hand-crank. It does offer the facility to auto-cock a leaf shuttered lens, but if you don't have one of those I really don't see much point in the autowinder.

More importantly, you're obviously new to the camera and I'd strongly advise that you check out the condition of the mirror-rest before spending more time on it.

The mirror rest is a small plastic part that's supposed to gently brake the mirror as it flips down after exposing a picture. It also adjusts and positions the mirror correctly. It's located under the front of the mirror on the right of the camera as you look into the lens throat.

Unfortunately, Mamiya chose to make this vital part out of flimsy plastic, rather than stronger metal; with the result that it's prone to cracking or breaking. Once that happens the focus of the camera is thrown out and repair is difficult or impossible due to the part being no longer available.

In short, check the condition of the sprung plastic mirror rest. If it's cracked or broken, then the whole camera is pretty useless. No point even bothering about the power winder if that's the case.

Yea I might just purchase the manual crank and do away with the auto winder. I am aware there is a film advance knob located on the detachable film holder, can this be used to advance and expose the roll of film or is it simply a means of reaching the first exposure?

I inspected the mirror plastic stopper that you mentioned and it seems okay, slight wear to it, but it is intact from what I could see.

Greatly appreciate your insight and help!

"...can this be used to advance and expose the roll of film or is it simply a means of reaching the first exposure?"

- The knob on the magazine is just for loading/unloading film. It has no coupling to the camera shutter.

You should be able to pick up a winding knob quite cheaply. There must be dozens of these (frankly awful) plastic M645 bodies lying broken and unused.

Double check the mirror brake/rest. The fact that it's holding together doesn't mean it's not cracked and flexing. If you get out of focus images, it would be the first thing I'd suspect.