Requesting a very structured answer on printing paper

james phillips

<p>I have asked a question that I was hoping to get a very structured

answer to on the other LF forum. I did not want to impose my request

for formating the answer here where everyone (including myself) is

more comfortable with a casual and easy approach.</p>

If you are interested in reading the question and I hope offering an

answer then you can look <A HREF="http://binoni.nu/lf/main.php?

forumId=1">here</A>

<p>Regards</p>

The link you provided leads to question related to developers, not printing papers. If this is what you are after here it is - actual comparison of 4 different developers by ORWO (Original Wolfen, or East German Agfa):

All prints were printed in 1977. I used RC Kodak paper (brand not recorded), same negative, filter 2.5, exposed to equal density for comparison, development time 1.5�. Single scan. I do not have the actual exposure times as these might vary among various developers:

Chemical composition (for 1 L - equivalent of a quart of solution) and characteristic of each developer, ORWO 100, 105, 108 and 130 is provided in German. I hope it is understood, if not I suggest you look up a dictionary:

ORWO 100 (Normal Entwickler):

Metol 1g, Natriumsulfit 13g, Hydrochinon 3g, Natriumkarbonat 26g, KBr 1g.------------------

ORWO 105 (Weich erbeitender Entw.)

M 15g, Natriumsulfit 75g, Kaliumkarbonat 75g, KBr 2g. Before using mix 1 part of solution with 4 to 5 parts of water.

To be honest I do not remember if I used diluted or perhaps concentrated mixture? No notes on that. It appears soft anyway.----------------

ORWO 108 (Hart arbeitender Entw.)

M 5g, Natriumsulfit 40g, H. 6g, Kaliumkarbonat 40g, KBr 2g ---------------

ORWO 130 (Spezial-Papier-Entw.)

M. 2.5g, Natriumsulfit 30g, H 7g, Natriumkarbonat 30g, KBr 1g

(Similar to 108, but 0.5 degree softer)

There are subtle differences among each print, more obvious on the originals than on the scans shown.

Based on these results my standard developer has been ORWO 108, since it is the most energetic (but not excessively) of the four. It provides full scale on the print. Development time for 108 may vary from 1.5 minute, (normal 2), up to 3 minutes. It is stable, not staining developer unless more than 6 month old. I have never in my life used any commercial paper developer, but I have experimented with other compositions, amidol-based formulas including. Is this a structured answer?<div>004lBb-11940584.jpg.7c36963c41b14668be759c2e29860037.jpg</div>

Hello Wieslaw,

You are indeed correct that my question is about developers. I thank-you for such a well formatted answer. I wish you would post the same answer with pictures on the other site for those folks to see. Your pictures coupled with your answer was exactly what I needed to understand the effect that a developer can have. Thanks.

Eric ... I will post this on APUG in the future.

Regards,