Request for feedback on image selection

indraneel

<p>Hi all,<br>

Just completed my first two fashion shoots (outdoors, TFCD). The idea was to show informal/sexy clothing that could possibly be worn to work in an urban location. Models got to view my inital selects (about 20% and 40% (60 and 260) of total shots respectively for the 2 shoots). Model's selections and my selections for final images to be edited do not match. Different people view things differently, but am I missing something? I wouldn't want to lose some viewpoints during the actual shoot and miss great shots. Models probably don't have enough time to sit down and tell me why they like particular images, besides, I'll probably sound like a dork. Any feedback will be appreciated.<br>

<a href="http://indraneel.info/photo/critique/PNFFM/">Model's selections</a><br>

<a href="http://indraneel.info/photo/critique/PNFFP/">My selections</a></p>

<p>Okay, I looked at both sets and I would have to go with your selection before I would theirs. Few reasons. Yours shows more of the clothes. The clothes that the Blonde/Purple may not sell to the "wear to work" it may not be the problem with the clothing but she is, well, to flirty in the shots. They are nice shots for the evening wear aspect but not work. The first few shots of the dark haired lady are very well for your sexy work outfits. Hoped I gave a little.<br>

L </p>

<p>Thanks everyone, but more comments welcome.<br>

Lisa: I tried to pick more shots that displayed clothing better. And yes, both shoots tended to turn more towards glamour due to loss of focus and lack of planning.<br>

Allen: Could you elaborate on what you find more aesthetically appealing? Pose/ expression/ composition? I'm totally lost about what you mean by professional appearance (BTW, these are unedited images.)<br>

Jon: Yes, a spot appeared during the shoot. I'm carrying qtips now.<br>

So, is there something I can learn from the selections, or should I not worry about it?</p>

<p>You have to remember that you as the photographer and they as the models are looking for different things. They want something that will show them off. You want something that shows off your work and creativity. I like your set better although it needs a bit more editing and cropping. At the end of the day, though, I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Process the one's they like for them, unless you find them to be horrid and to bring down the quality of your work. Then Process the one's you like for you. <br>

My main suggestion would be to trust your instincts. Your selections are fine. It really is a subjective choice you make. Everyone has a different opinion on what's a great shot. You can never please everyone.<br>

And my one critique is never ever again show a photo with a dust spot like that one it. If you can't clean it up or crop it out, then that shot should never have been shown to a model or posted here. It goes in your recycle or experiment bin. </p>

<p>Thanks Jemal, you're right about the differing viewpoints. I also finally found why some of my model's selections were more aesthetically pleasing than my selections, mainly pose diferences. Also located a few glitches in framing and composition after discussions with local photographers. Some of the shots were underexposed. One in particular was underexposed 4 stops by mistake (changed a lens and didn't check the aperture), and I'm amazed it could be recovered some.<br>

<a href="http://indraneel.info/photo/critique/PNFFF/">Here are</a> the final edits (notice, the dust spot is nearly gone).</p>

<p>I agree about looking for different things. You are the photographer. Remember that. :) If this was a real gig (not saying it isnt) and you had to do a shoot for R.L. or something - you would get the final say (or someone in charge of it) not the models.<br>

Have a business mind when you look at these.</p>

<p>and I will take that shiny dress if your done with it...hehe</p>