Request for advice regarding mirrorless camera purchase

Over this century I've moved away from using digital cameras for film cameras and those are all manual ones. The issue is I have a damaged right thumb and I cannot shoot with any camera film or digital with a big right hand grip, or one in which settings are changed using a thumb wheel, rocker switch or button without pain (this is true for film cameras as well as digital ones) -- not good for me as my photography is nearly all handheld. I've been out of touch with photography and the market due to an illness the past 2 years, as well. I know there is probably no way to avoid the modern interface, but I'm hoping to find one that is less of a problem for me than what I've had in the past.

I would likely replace the one more modern film camera I use (af Konica Hexar) with the digital camera. I use it as a p&s; load film, set critical shutter speed, turn on to "P" and shoot away, remaining untroubled by its odd button pushing interface. Based on completed sales, I should easily get $500 for it and adding $1000.00 means I'd top out at about $1500.00 for a new camera.

I don't wear eyeglasses, but for a camera with lcd only viewfinder (my phonecam) I need to wear glasses with a 1.5 or 2.0 magnification, but I can easily use a rangefinder or slr. I guess it is simply age (I'm 75). It is not a deal-breaker, but I prefer an eye level finder optical or evf, or even just an accessory shoe to mount a finder.

I don't think my budget would cover an interchangeble lens camera, so probably a fixed lens. In that case, a prime that won't have me regretting selling the Hexar. Possibly there's an interchangeable one with a kit lens (probably a zoom) at the price-point. There is a well-stocked camera store (Schiller's in St Louis) nearby where I can test any suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Fujifilm.

Most are about the size and shape of a 'classic' film camera, or your Hexar AF. Shutter speed is set via a dial on the body, aperture via a ring on the lens.

You can set auto ISO, select a minimum shutter speed, shutter dial to 'A', then just adjust aperture and the camera will do the rest, all the way from ISO 100/200 to 'a lot'. Works the same with vintage manual lenses.

An X-E1 can be found cheap used, if you just want to try, image quality is more than acceptable. An X100 or Xpro series camera is more expensive, but may be closer to what you desire.

Try a cheap used X-E1 to see if you like it?

If you have an old manual lens to adapt, you're looking at less than 200€/£/$, otherwise grab a used 23 or 35mm f2 XF to go with it. Prices are stable, so you'll get your money back if you re-sell.

PPS. There are control wheel(s) on the rear (and front on later models) of the Fujifilm cameras. It's not obvious from looking at pictures, but their use is entirely optional and they can be disabled. Fuji gives you a couple of different ways to use the camera, with the classic dials and lens rings, or with the thumb and forefinger wheels. I think this is sometimes misunderstood by those who have not actually used the cameras...

Ricoh GR3. It’s a fixed lens, APS-C camera with IBIS, it’s very light and can be used one-handed. I use mine in P mode with auto ISO which allows you to set a minimum shutter speed. No viewfinder although a 28mm optical viewfinder can be mounted in the hot-shoe and used for framing your shot but there’s obviously no feedback regarding exposure data (I’ve not used one as they are pricey).

Ludmilla, thanks for reminding me of Ricoh. Schillers doesn't carry that brand (it is not listed on their website), unfortunately. I like to try before buy. Prices online are well within my range, though.

• Like 1

Fujifilm.

Most are about the size and shape of a 'classic' film camera, or your Hexar AF. Shutter speed is set via a dial on the body, aperture via a ring on the lens.

You can set auto ISO, select a minimum shutter speed, shutter dial to 'A', then just adjust aperture and the camera will do the rest, all the way from ISO 100/200 to 'a lot'. Works the same with vintage manual lenses.

An X-E1 can be found cheap used, if you just want to try, image quality is more than acceptable. An X100 or Xpro series camera is more expensive, but may be closer to what you desire.

Try a cheap used X-E1 to see if you like it?

If you have an old manual lens to adapt, you're looking at less than 200€/£/$, otherwise grab a used 23 or 35mm f2 XF to go with it. Prices are stable, so you'll get your money back if you re-sell.

The Fujifilm cameras were the ones that got my interest. Schiller's carries the X-S10,

X-T30 and with or without the 18-55 zoom are in my range -- the X-T4 body only, as well. Do you have an opinion about these models?

I might buy used, if nothing new works out and will keep the X-E1 in mind.

Leica Q2 (if you have $$$)? It is hard to get away from any thumbwheels, but most cameras have P programs with settable parameters that would work fine as using your thumb is difficult.

The issue with the Hexar is it is, in theory, capable of more than p&s, can work manually for example, but it seems a lot of users after dealing with its peculiar interface, bad thumb or not, end up using it as a p&s. I can't fully utilize the Hexar and want to replace with a digital camera than I can fully utilize.

If I were still shooting with slrs, I'd be asking about dslrs with a control layout similar to a Pentax ZX-5, rather than mirrorless and Hexar. Fujifilm seems to be the maker designing more to my taste.

The Q2, I'll have to admire from afar...and with longing 8-)

The Fujifilm cameras were the ones that got my interest. Schiller's carries the X-S10,

X-T30 and with or without the 18-55 zoom are in my range -- the X-T4 body only, as well. Do you have an opinion about these models?

I might buy used, if nothing new works out and will keep the X-E1 in mind.

Based on what you said in your first post, I'd avoid the X-S10, it's pretty much the opposite of what you're looking for, targeted at the modern dSLR demographic.

Personally, I have an X-E1, X-T10 and X-T2.

The X-Txx models are 'cut-down' versions of the equivalent X-Tx model, losing direct access to ISO, the dual card slots, weather sealing, the big viewfinder and some build quality, but keeping the same sensor and processing engine. They're slightly smaller and lighter.

The Xpro is styled more like a rangefinder, with a clever combined optical/electronic viewfinder. I've never got my hands on one to try unfortunately. The X100 series is essentially an Xpro with a fixed 35mm equivalent lens.

The X-Ex series are a cut-down version of the Xpro, with an electronic viewfinder in place of the trick optical/electronic version. They're smaller and considerably cheaper. Like their SLR counterparts, you lose direct access to ISO and the other things mentioned above.

There are currently four sensor/processing engine generations:

Xpro-1 & X-E1 - 16 MP Xtrans1

X-T1/10, X-E2 - 16 MP Xtrans2

X-T2/20, Xpro2, X-E3 - 24 MP Xtrans3

X-T3/30, X-T4, Xpro3 - 26 MP Xtrans4

They all have slight differences that are the subject of much debate by Fuji enthusiasts, but all give very acceptable image quality, particularly straight from camera jpegs. In my opinion, the 16 MP sensors should not be discounted, they punch well above their weight, so to speak.

My recommendation, as above, is to get a cheap used X-E or X-T series camera to try, see if you like the way it handles, then, if you like it, get a more recent body with updated sensor. An X-E1 for under $200 is hard to argue with.

Lenses, look at the f2 primes, they're small and have an excellent reputation. Personally, I use a 23mm and a 50mm (35 & 75mm equivalent), together with a Viltrox 33mm f1.4 (fast 50 equivalent), those 3 lenses cover me for 90% of what I want to do.

• Like 1

The X100 series(T,F,V)might suit. Hybrid optical/digital rangefinder. Fixed, sharp 23/2 lens(35mm equivalent)manual controls and varying degrees of optional automation. Wide range of custom settings. Metal body, quality "Made in Japan" fit and finish. 16-24mp APS-C sensor. Worth a look?

I've been out of touch with photography and the market due to an illness the past 2 years, as well.

I assume that you are back to good health (or something close to it!) and I am sure it must be a huge relief to put that behind you. :-)

As for the camera recommendations, I think you have some good ones so far. I think you can find a system camera that does what you want, even if you only buy one lens for it. Fuji makes some small bodies, and you could attach a 23mm or a 35mm lens to one and call it a day. There's the X Vario by Leica, long discontinued. Its zoom lens has an aperture on the narrow side, so if you like more selective focus, that might not work. The X2 could work but its AF is terrible. Honestly, though, a Fuji might be in your future.

Please do let us know what you end up buying, and why.

Would a pistol-grip not be of use?

These can be used with either hand equally well.

Most are designed to have a bowden-cable release fitted to the trigger, but Nikon produced at least one that had an electrical switch trigger.

And Sony, for one, are now fitting touch-screens to some of their high-end cameras.

Interesting problem. Getting a mirrorless that’s small isn’t so hard, but most have a lot of functions that are accessed with the right thumb. Do you have a store nearby that will let you try some out?

A Fuji with shutter and iso dials has the obvious advantage of not needing to use thumb wheels for those functions, and they make plenty of lenses that have aperture rings. Or if you want something that’s a direct replacement for your Konica there’s the X100 series. A Nikon Z50 might do the job, or a Sony A6400, but those don’t have quite the same appeal for somebody who likes classic film gear. Some of these (e.g. the Z50) have some functionality to make the right thumb less necessary for choosing the focus point (you can tap the touchscreen to focus, or use the eye detector of shooting portraits etc.) but I think it’s going to be important to try them to see what’s comfortable.

Would a pistol-grip not be of use?

These can be used with either hand equally well.

Most are designed to have a bowden-cable release fitted to the trigger, but Nikon produced at least one that had an electrical switch trigger.

And Sony, for one, are now fitting touch-screens to some of their high-end cameras.

I hadn't considered a pistol grip and likely won't, but I have dusted off my backpacking tripod and am considering trying a monopod.

I likely wouldn't be seriously looking for a digital camera if my wife and I hadn't moved from an urban to a rural environment this past year. I hardly know what anything here would look like as a photograph -- for one, the light is very different. A digital camera makes more sense than film for the purpose.

The X100 seems the best choice for me, but the local camera shop doesn't list it on their website. I'll call on Monday and see if they have one on the shelf. Otherwise, late this Spring I'll be travelling through Kansas City and Denver, calling the shops. If nothing turns up, I think I will take Steve's advice and buy a used XE-1 and play with adapting a few favorite film lenses. And if that works out, perhaps move away from 35mm for digital, and keep shooting medium format; I'm also restoring a Speed Graphic.

For a photographer, the first 70 years are a bit difficult, but after that things get better. -- Robert Doisneau

I assume that you are back to good health (or something close to it!) and I am sure it must be a huge relief to put that behind you. :)

As for the camera recommendations, I think you have some good ones so far. I think you can find a system camera that does what you want, even if you only buy one lens for it. Fuji makes some small bodies, and you could attach a 23mm or a 35mm lens to one and call it a day. There's the X Vario by Leica, long discontinued. Its zoom lens has an aperture on the narrow side, so if you like more selective focus, that might not work. The X2 could work but its AF is terrible. Honestly, though, a Fuji might be in your future.

Please do let us know what you end up buying, and why.

I'm pretty much back to normal since July, thanks. I will follow through about the camera and post here.

The Fuji X100 series is fairly small but the Ricoh's are much smaller and lighter. There's also some pretty nice Sony RX100 series. In micro 4/3 Olympus and Panasonic have some nice light models as well. I've used Fuji's, Panasonics and Ricoh GRDs. For one handed operation the Ricoh is the easiest. I've used the older ones that had a really small sensor and had a great look for urban photography.

My recommendation, as above, is to get a cheap used X-E or X-T series camera to try, see if you like the way it handles, then, if you like it, get a more recent body with updated sensor. An X-E1 for under $200 is hard to argue with.

Well, I found an X-E1 on KEH rated Exc+ w/ battery and charger and bought it, finding the $239 "hard to argue with". No lens. It seemed the quickest way to start off on several paths. I'm researching adapters for some of my film lenses (M42, M39, Minolta MC/MD, Pentax K) as well as the available digital lenses.

Having moved this past year, I have to keep reminding myself that I no longer live in the city and my photography requirments have changed.

Steve, thanks for your advice.

Well, I found an X-E1 on KEH rated Exc+ w/ battery and charger and bought it, finding the $239 "hard to argue with". No lens. It seemed the quickest way to start off on several paths. I'm researching adapters for some of my film lenses (M42, M39, Minolta MC/MD, Pentax K) as well as the available digital lenses.

Having moved this past year, I have to keep reminding myself that I no longer live in the city and my photography requirments have changed.

Steve, thanks for your advice.

Hope you find it to your liking.

If you've got a classic 35mm lens to hand, grab an adaptor (I like K&F Concept, but other brands are available), set the ISO to auto, the shutter dial to 'A' and enjoy.

There are some good threads in this forum discussing both classic manual lenses and some of the modern options. I'll let you find them for yourself, suffice to say that there are modern lenses for every taste and budget.

If you've got a classic 35mm lens to hand, grab an adaptor (I like K&F Concept, but other brands are available), set the ISO to auto, the shutter dial to 'A' and enjoy.

The one I'd like to continue using is the Super Takumar 35 f/3.5, which has done well by every film I've loaded it with including Kodachrome. If it works out cropped, that's about 40-50 percent of my future shots right there.

Super Takumar 35 f/3.5

Sorry, but all of the wideangle Super Taks I've tried on MILC bodies have been poor.

The 35mm f/3.5 S.T. I have was easily beaten by a Pentacon 35mm f/2.5 Flektogon. Unfortunately the Flektogon is about twice the size and weight of the little Pentax lens.

Sorry, but all of the wideangle Super Taks I've tried on MILC bodies have been poor.

The 35mm f/3.5 S.T. I have was easily beaten by a Pentacon 35mm f/2.5 Flektogon. Unfortunately the Flektogon is about twice the size and weight of the little Pentax lens.

I saw your comments about the 28mm Takumar, a lens I own but consider the color (on film) a bit harsh for my taste. The 35, though, is quite good. Have you shot with it on your Sony (I think it is)? My non-Takumar alternative would be a 24mm Minolta MD. From what I've read, the LTMs do well on mirrorless, but I don't have any wide angles in that mount.

• 5 months later...

There are some good threads in this forum discussing both classic manual lenses and some of the modern options. I'll let you find them for yourself, suffice to say that there are modern lenses for every taste and budget.

Hi, Steve,

I was surprised my only interchangeable lens 35 is the Super Takumar f3.5. Here are a few shots:

DSCF0327.thumb.jpg.1d581a582cf63c095eb17283b90719da.jpg DSCF0624.thumb.jpg.2494681585e5ca147b257563a72a3a0f.jpg DSCF1131.thumb.jpg.be07e1bd820df028c2042c5e761756b9.jpg DSCF1069.thumb.jpg.aa1629f3ca5bf1b0e5202040a891fe35.jpg DSCF1133.thumb.jpg.33c0831f860803c787921aaadc00140a.jpg

• Like 1