[Report] Problem with D100

cat32

HI Nikon D100 users, I've heard this problem from some website, and I

think we should know about this. try this,

50mm f1.4d or 1.8d lens with D100, setting at M mode 30s and

Ampurture at less then f2.0 - like 1.4, 1.6, 1.8...

You will find out that shutter will closed after 15s not 30s.

well, I know that there are not many time that you will use this

setting but, I just don't like the idea of having this kind of

problem.

what do you think?

Just tested my D100. When the shutter speed is set to 30 seconds in the M mode, it is indeed 30 seconds. This is the kind of things an electronic camera does far better and more accurately than an all mechanical shutter. So please don't start any unfounded rumors.

My D100 does exhibit this bug, but I would never have found it if you had not brought it up. I guess I better sell the junk now and buy another camera. Actually since this bug is so severe I think I will just trash it so now one else has to suffer with it either.

In case you can't tell I don' think this bug will be keeping me up at night. If I ever need 30sec at f1.8 I will just use Bulb.

After some e-mail clarification, I find out that the D100 exhibits this problem only if you use a 50mm/f1.4 D on it in the M mode, set at a very large aperture between f1.4 and f1.8. Everybody who reads this forum knows that I don't like 50mm lenses :-). Since I don't have that lens, I cannot reproduce this exact test myself. I was merely testing with my 35mm/f1.4 AI-S and 24-85 AF-S G; neither one of them causes this problem. Sorry about the confusion.

The D100 doesn't know when you have set the aperture to f/1.4 on the 35/1.4 as there is no information exchange ... so the bug is not activated.

It's fascinating what kind of bugs cameras will have now that they're all electronics ... ;-) Anyway, Nikon can probably fix this in existing cameras.

DSLRs are merely specialized computers, so they have pretty much all the pros and cons of computers. There is essentially no such thing as bug-free software (or firmware). The good thing is that they can fix the software and you simply get an upgrade (or patch), until the next bunch of bugs are discovered .... Unfortunately, you'll also need to upgrade the hardware, namely the camera body itself, more often than you'd like to. :-)