Report on eBay generic split-screen focus for dSLR

wigwam jones

Renato, thanks for that link to Virtual Village - I'm adding it to my list of links in my review.

Amund, I suspect that the original screen does a better job of 'ground glass' style focusing, but that's just my initial impression. I have to admit that since I didn't like the original style very well, I didn't pay attention to how well or poorly the new one did that.

Oh, and by the way, Renato - I just noticed that Virtual Village also sells those horrible M42 adapters for P/K mount that don't allow for infinity focus - and they don't bother saying that on their listing. I think that's a bit on the dishonest side - I'm sure they know you can't focus to infinity with one of those cheesy adapters. Anyway, just FYI.

I only recommend the Pentax brand adapter, made by Pentax. It can be hard to find - I bought mine from Pentax online, but others have told me that they've tried and Pentax is perpetually sold out. I believe they call it their adapter B.

I have tried the 3rd-party clones of the Pentax adapter, and I am most displeased with them - and I bought them from B&H, they're labeled as being made by Kalt. They require a tool to install/remove (the original Pentax does not, just a fingernail). I have had them turn around inside the lens mount and become stuck, which scared the life out of me the first time that happened. And the lens rattles on the camera. Junk.

You can sometimes find the originals on eBay. They are labeled "Pentax" or "Asahi" and the lettering is engraved, not painted on. They do NOT say "M42" on them. They sit completely down inside the lens mount, they do not have a lip that extends out of the lens mount. They typically end up going for around $25 to $30 USD, but they're well worth it. I have two - only need one, the other is backup in case I lose or misplace mine.

Also do not forget you can have a lot of fun with t-mount lenses and the appropriate t-mount->P/K adapter - and for that, any old adapter will do, I've found.

Anybody knows what is difference betwen K10D and K100D image screens? Why PENTAX doesn't have replacement screens for K100D, while it does for K10D? The same time Katz Eye and Haoda sell screens for K100D. Is it possible to install screen designed for K10D onto K100D?

Hi,

I just got Split focus screen from China through one seller from Ebay.

They said this screen used the same material for Minolta's focus screen.

I replaced Standard focus screen of my Pentax *ist DL that so painful

when I used my favorites old lenses.

Unfortunately,

1. In Auto focus (AF) mode, it doesn't give exact straight line when in focus.

2. On the contrary, In Manual focus (MF) mode, when I forced it to get straight line on screen,

the results is blurred images.

I still faced w this problem and need an advice to solve it.

Regards,

RTogog

I just ordered one for my DL from "cowy07" on E-bay. As a result of digging around the web some people say the thickness of the DS and DL screens are different, and use different screens. I also read there is a brass shim on the DL to deal with, which may make up for the difference. I don't know if it will work or not. I'll post back.

One buyer bought one for his DL and it did not work. He posted negative feedback and I also caught a thread on Flickr about it. Not sure what to think...He said he installed it both ways with no luck.

RTogog, you bought a different one from cut down Minolta screens, any luck ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I also use it w my Pentax *ist DL . I stick black,non shiny paper(name card)about 1.5 mm wide on both side (shorter sides)on the doft surface of the focus screen. This surface will be faced up to the Penta mirror.Pls, use dry paper glue.I'm quite happy now! I can smoothly swap both AF & MF lenses.

Regards, RTogog